Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Fire And Rain – Lesson 4 with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNesh

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:03 pm

I too wasn't aware of an upload in here.... :S

And it made me smile all the way through. :) :) You and your gorgeous guitar sounded just beautifully! Also very nice transition from picking to strumming back and forth.

And how brave to just upload it, good for you! :cheer: I don't think i even noticed any minor whatevers since you just sucked me into the beauty of the song, which is a song that i've never heard btw.

Just beautifully done Sandy!

Ness

sandysue

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm

thank you so much Vanessa for checking out my video. I really value your opinion. I'm glad you like that song too, it's one of my favorites. I'm surprised that you have never heard Fire and Rain until now, but that song was written a long time ago. It was released as a single in 1970 off the album Sweet Baby James I believe. James Taylor just recently wrote some new crazy humorous lyrics for this song, but I still prefer the old classic version. :)

Sandy

7645slug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 pm

mweston wrote:
Maybe in 2016 we'll get to play the D7!!! :P

Marc W
Maybe we could rename the band to "Sans D7 and the Pips".

-tg

sandysue

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Now be nice Mr. Gilmore. Remember whose been put in charge of the play list. You could be singing and playing all of those sappy, hyperfemine love ballads. You know the kind guys hate. :) I especially love those kind of songs you know. Lucky for you Neil already intervened on a couple of my recent ideas. Secretly I think he's on your side. :)

7645slug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:26 pm

sandysue wrote:
Now be nice Mr. Gilmore. Remember whose been put in charge of the play list. You could be singing and playing all of those sappy, hyperfemine love ballads. You know the kind guys hate. :) I especially love those kind of songs you know. Lucky for you Neil already intervened on a couple of my recent ideas. Secretly I think he's on your side. :)
Sorry Sandy, I only meant to have a little word fun. Although what do you think about Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy"? Just kidding. Bring on the Hyper Feminines, I will try to be prepared for the challenge.

-tg

sandysue

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:40 am

Ok Tom, I just listened to Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" at the Apple iTunes app store. Hummmmm, well..., perhaps you could sing that one, and I'll just strum along, preferably somewhere offstage. :)

Sandy

ps I hope you know that I'm just teasing you :)

7645slug

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 am

sandysue wrote:
Ok Tom, I just listened to Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" at the Apple iTunes app store. Hummmmm, well..., perhaps you could sing that one, and I'll just strum along, preferably somewhere offstage. :)

Sandy

ps I hope you know that I'm just teasing you :)
Sorry Sandy, didn't mean to put you through listening to that song. Sometimes I just say things because the words get in the way. How about Jim Croce's "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song"?

-tg

sandysue

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Tom, I do really like that song of Jim Croce's. Neil said "Fire and Rain" would be a little too hard to try and work out as a group, it's better to play that one individually. It is a really pretty song even without accompaniment. He said the same thing about You've Got A Friend.

Neil did have some suggestions of songs to play in a group setting, that were easier to play but could be dressed up, by each guitarist putting their capo at a different fret and transposing the chords, so that you are all playing in the same key at different parts of the fretboard. We've done that before and it sounds really good. Hopefully he will put it on FOTW if he was recording our conversation. He gave some really helpful hints on how to play different parts to the same song.

Sandy

willem

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:28 pm

sandysue wrote:
Tom, I do really like that song of Jim Croce's. Neil said "Fire and Rain" would be a little too hard to try and work out as a group, it's better to play that one individually. It is a really pretty song even without accompaniment. He said the same thing about You've Got A Friend.

Neil did have some suggestions of songs to play in a group setting, that were easier to play but could be dressed up, by each guitarist putting their capo at a different fret and transposing the chords, so that you are all playing in the same key at different parts of the fretboard. We've done that before and it sounds really good. Hopefully he will put it on FOTW if he was recording our conversation. He gave some really helpful hints on how to play different parts to the same song.

Sandy
when your wrist is healed then play some lead Sandy, no capo!! Try the top 3 or 4 string chord and note shapes,, maybe the intro from tequila sunrise.. B)

sandysue

Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Yes Willem

That's another way to dress up the song by playing a nice intro/outro and a short instrumental part somewhere in the middle of the song. Neil had me just play the melody of some songs, with an alternating bass, as the instrumental part. Or maybe you would call that the lead. It makes the song a lot more interesting. Is that something that you do a lot when you play songs?

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic