Alice's Restaurant

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
jayswett

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 am

This lesson has been out for a while, but I like to return to it every Thanksgiving as I find that I notice something new each time I watch the videos. Today was no exception. Those of you who have joined the site within the last year might not know it exists, so you might want to have a look at it. Great song, very recognizable, lots to learn generally from this lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

TGNesh

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:27 am

Oh yes, I remember this one! :) One of my first uploads when joining the TG-forums (Dec. 2010). I had no idea it had anything to do with Thanksgiving though, haha! :huh: :laugh: I just thought it was a fun song to play (got inspired by Suzi's video at the time). As several of you know i'm not particularly into instrumentals, since I like to sing, but i did very much enjoy learning this one. A tricky little one btw. ;)

Wow.....how things and I, myself, have changed since then. :blink: :ohmy:

fjeanmur

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Oh yes, I remember this one! :) One of my first uploads when joining the TG-forums (Dec. 2010). I had no idea it had anything to do with Thanksgiving though, haha! :huh: :laugh: I just thought it was a fun song to play (got inspired by Suzi's video at the time). As several of you know i'm not particularly into instrumentals, since I like to sing, but i did very much enjoy learning this one. A tricky little one btw. ;)

Right, Vanessa, I remember seeing that video of you. I decided to tackle Alice's Restaurant shortly after coming to TG. I remember how it took me a month it get my fourth finger to move from the E to the D# in the second measure. LOL! My goal was to have it ready by Thanksgiving--eight months away. I got through it, thought it wasn't too bad and then saw your video. You made it look so easy! :woohoo: That was before you became TGVanessa.

But it is a great song and well worth revisiting at least once a year.

TGNesh

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 am

Gosh, you actually remember that video? Cool! :)

Yeah, I remember needing to train some fingers there as well :laugh:, so I can imagine.

I thought it was a tricky song for sure :S 'Make it look easy', well I surely worked on it, to make it look easy! ;)

So we joined TG around the same time then, over 5 years ago. (August 2010)

You're right, it's a great song, I should revisit it too, it's been a while. Thanks Jean!

fjeanmur wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Right, Vanessa, I remember seeing that video of you. I decided to tackle Alice's Restaurant shortly after coming to TG. I remember how it took me a month it get my fourth finger to move from the E to the D# in the second measure. LOL! My goal was to have it ready by Thanksgiving--eight months away. I got through it, thought it wasn't too bad and then saw your video. You made it look so easy! :woohoo: That as before you became TGVanessa.

But it is a great song and well worth revisiting at least once a year.

fjeanmur

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:52 am

No, I've only been around for three years. I just found the video when I was learning the song.

michelew

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:57 am

It's a cute tune. Not being an American, it doesn't mean anything to me either.

And I have to admit, if it evoked an exasperated expression from YOU Ness... Well then... Ha! Run away!!!!! :)

fjeanmur

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:37 am

michelew wrote:

And I have to admit, if it evoked an exasperated expression from YOU Ness... Well then... Ha! Run away!!!!! :)

Hey Michele!

Around here, everyone knows the story of what happened to Arlo with all his embellishments. It's tradition for the radio to play Alice's Restaurant every Thanksgiving precisely at noon. So we always tune in while we're cooking to listen to the kooky story he tells. It never gets old. The only difference this year will be after hearing the recording on Thursday, we'll be hearing it live at Carnegie Hall during the weekend. Arlo is coming to NY and the tickets were at a great price.

TGNesh

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 am

Ah of course, I misunderstood. It did cross my mind that I thought it was shorter than that.

fjeanmur wrote:
No, I've only been around for three years. I just found the video when I was learning the song.

TGNesh

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:33 am

Haha! :laugh: Yeah, like I said, I thought it was a tricky little tune (well the progression is 'little').... It took me a whole week to get it down. :S I'm sorry if that sounds....I don't know how it sounds, but for me practicing a song straight on for a week is quite a bit.

Oh well, Alice's Restaurant, it's a fun song to play! :)

michelew wrote:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic