>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Boys of Summer - Don Henley

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi everyone!

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

The Boys Of Summer is a song written by Eagles vocalist/drummer Don Henley and Mike Campbell. It’s the lead track and first single from Henley’s 1984 album ‘Building The Perfect Beast.'

This lesson shows a way of how to perform it with only one guitar and is, like the original, presented in standard tuning with all the strings tuned down a half step.

We take a look at the opening riff, the melody notes through out the intro and the super easy progression.
There are only four basic open chords involved, which one could spice up a bit by adding some notes to give them a little more color.

The song requires quite a lot of the strumming hand. It’s fast, should be done randomly, with focused strumming in some parts, while picking out several melody notes.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... enley.html

sbutler

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Wow Vanessa, I love this song, and in fact, the entire album. Now that I know you can "build the perfect beast", maybe we'll see a lesson on "the last worthless evening" or some of the others as well.
Thanks for all you do, you are very appreciated.

Scott

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:17 am

Vanessa:

Thank you so much for this lesson! I have always loved this song, but never really thought about it as an acoustic cover. What a great job. I found myself working on it for the last hour. Catching the melody notes on the & of 2 and the & of 3 is what is tripping me up so far. Time for the metronome!

Sweet!

Jason

P.S..... The TG logo a bit smaller in the bottom right corner, or you shifted to your right (our left) a tad bit more would make it easier to see your left hand. ;)

davidrfinn99165

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 am

Great song choice Ness !! and an excellent performance on the playthrough as well..

A chance for me to get a bit of muscle into my strumming :)

/ david

michelew

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:22 am

WOW Ness! This is yet another lesson where you've taken a song with a BIG sound and lots of instruments and captured its essence with a single guitar. Incredible!!!

I loved your playthrough. Brilliant! Amazing energy! Nothing boring about that that's for sure.

Love your work!

Shel

wrsomers

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:08 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Vanessa:

Thank you so much for this lesson! I have always loved this song, but never really thought about it as an acoustic cover. What a great job. I found myself working on it for the last hour. Catching the melody notes on the & of 2 and the & of 3 is what is tripping me up so far. Time for the metronome!

Sweet!

Jason

P.S..... The TG logo a bit smaller in the bottom right corner, or you shifted to your right (our left) a tad bit more would make it easier to see your left hand. ;)
Nesh,
Great song and great lesson. As the others have said, you have adapted this one very well to the guitar. Your lessons become more and more enjoyable. You have clearly gotten good at being comfortable in front of the camera.

I agree with Jason; the TG logo obscures your left hand when it is at the first 3 frets. Is there any way to move the logo to the top right corner?

Again, great job.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:47 am

:woohoo:

Hey Don Henley.....

I thought Vanessa was teaching this lesson !

Great play through Don :dry:

:ohmy:

Lavallee

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 am

A real fun one Ness

Thanks

Marc

familyman4

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:32 am

Hello Vanessa,

Not sure what I can to the praises that have been stated so far?

Anyway, I have always loved the Eagles and when Glen Fry, Don Henley, Timothy Schmidt, Joe Walsh and Don Felder went out on their own, I still bought their albums and loved their music because they are really just that good! (IMO) So, when this album / song was released, it was my favorite and I listened to it a lot. I had never even given thought to figuring out how to make a huge sound with so many instruments into a solo song that would do it justice. Oh my goodness, you have shown us the way to do it now. Great job on the detailed lesson and the play through!!!! You (and Neil) have a way of making the impossible seem reachable so thank you for this lesson and all that you do for the world of TG!!!

(I am still here in the shadows B) )

Bart

sandysue

Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 am

another beautiful lesson Vanessa

You aways play and sing impeccably. You and Neil really provide an awesome range and balance of songs for us to learn. You provide lots of variety to meet everyones needs. Thank you. It's obvious that a tremendous amount of work goes into each lesson that you and Neil prepare. We all really appreciate you both. :)

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic