>>New Target Exclusive Addition - Acoustic Genius Series - Who Has Time To Practice?

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
KennyF

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

We recently started releasing some of our theory and technique lessons on DVDs. The initial set consisted of mostly lessons available in the Target Program. We did create a few new things and decided they should be part of Target as well.

Inside The Mind... is a series of musings, ramblings, observations, insights, maybe even warnings, on a wide variety of subjects.

Most students complain about not having time to practice. This clip rolls some thoughts around and has a few suggestions that might make much of the ordeal seem less stressful.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... .html#song

thereshopeyet

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:54 pm

:ohmy: Image

TGNesh

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:04 am

Awesome! :cheer:

I had been meaning to ask for this (always curious for your ramblings and thoughts ;) ), so yeah, great that it's part of Target as well, thanks!

Ness

sandysue

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I try to practice at least a little bit everyday but it varies. If I'm learning something new and it's a difficult piece for me, then I have to fight a little procrastination. With new songs I practice in small increments to avoid frustration, and then just keep going back to it during the day. I leave my guitar on a stand next to my chair and music stand, in plain site most of the time for easy access.

Sometimes I just like to sit and play the songs I already know and love and just entertain myself without having to learn anything new at the moment.

I prefer to play in the early morning before the rest of my day starts and I have to go do other things. i also play during the day too if I have time. The later in the evening it gets the less likely I am to want to play guitar. I would rather hang out and talk with family and friends and relax.

Everyday is different so I guess I don't have a regular routine for guitar playing. It depends on what else is happening. :)

Sandy

willem

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm

What I missed in Neils rambling is to do a warm up before really go on the practice, you can do that with or without the guitar, most of the time I use "blackbird" as a warmup
I sure keep the guitar near by and practice not to long,short segments over and over.
Every wednesday night I play with a singer and I find it very important to go through some songs before he walks througjh the door, (warmup).

Willem

ps,, practice practice and so on

trix606

Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Willem, Blackbird is my go to warmup song too! It gets me moving up and down the neck comfortably. Dead or Alive is another one.

I keep a guitar next to my computer on a stand so that I can grab it for a quick little practice (and to try out the latest TG lessons).

I always feel better if I at least "touch the strings" daily if only for a few minutes.

When I have more time I might work on new stuff I am trying to learn or try to run through as many of the songs I have learned as I can, sometimes without the chart or tab in front of me.

The other thing that has worked for me in learning new songs is to make it a point to play it everyday for a few weeks, warts and all. That gives me enough time to get through the excitement of the new song and the subsequent reality of the hard work necessary to learn a new song and then finally hitting the comfort zone with it.

Seth Godin had some great thoughts on the process of learning something new in his book "The Dip"

I also find that switching to a song I know well after practicing the new song for a while and then going back to the new song has helped me overcome difficulties with it or get out of ruts.

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Willem

What a Gas ! :ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic