>>New Target Exclusive Addition - Acoustic Genius Series - I Played It Better At Home!

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
Lavallee

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone!

We have a new addition to our Inside The Mind series:

I doubt there is a music student in the world who has never uttered the words, “I played it better at home.” As a matter of fact, I resorted to spewing something similar recently when I was practicing a piece just before a student arrived for a lesson.

I was so excited about the progress I had been making that I wanted to share it with them. Somehow, most of the intricate parts I felt I was so close to commanding completely deserted me.

How could that happen???

The short answer to this is mindset or mental frame. This entry in our Inside The Mind... series addresses some of the reasons this happens, as well as offers some thoughts on getting past the issue.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... .html#song

fjeanmur

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:13 am

Hey Neil,

But what if you never go into "performance mode"? As a kid, I was so relieved when I changed to the piano teacher who didn't give recitals, I would never consider playing guitar publicly and the TG format is perfect because I never have to face a live teacher. (Not that you and Vanessa seem terribly intimidating!). We all have of personalities and our ambitions and my guitar playing is purely for me. I know I have made so much progress over the last three years, but when I play, it's never perfect, there's always tomorrow (I hope) and I have an attitude that what I play will eventually get better--maybe not perfect--over time. Is that a bad thing? I don't even run a video of myself because that's when I mess up and the whole thing seems to be more trouble then it's worth.

What's your take on this attitude?

TGNesh

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes, this line sounds highly familiar, I get it like pretty much with áll my students! :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting reponse and question Jean! I'm curious what our Master has to say. :)

Btw Have you watched the 'beginner, intermediate and advanced' segment? Neil does point out a few things about performing for people and where it puts you, as in level of playing. It's interesting.

Another btw...I would be very very kind, patient and reassuring with and to you, if we would ever do a live one on one guitar lesson. :)

Ness

fjeanmur

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Yes, this line sounds highly familiar, I get it like pretty much with áll my students! :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting reponse and question Jean! I'm curious what our Master has to say. :)

Btw Have you watched the 'beginner, intermediate and advanced' segment? Neil does point out a few things about performing for people and where it puts you, as in level of playing. It's interesting.

Another btw...I would be very very kind, patient and reassuring with and to you, if we would ever do a live one on one guitar lesson. :)

Ness
Hi Ness,

I did see that segment and it was a good one because it made me see that I didn't give myself enough credit for what I knew before I came to TG. I assumed that I was entering as a beginner from when I had left off so many years ago. But from Neil's description, I was definitely intermediate--yes, with no barre chords--but with a lot of other things solidly in place. So, I am now a higher intermediate and that's not such a bad thing. But playing for people puts me way out of my comfort zone.

I am sure you would be very patient and maybe at some time that lesson will happen. I'm just not one who has that burning desire to "get it right" because I want to perform it. Yes, it would be interesting to see what the Master thinks. Happy new year! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic