Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Bass Lesson #1 with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
chacho

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi Everyone!

We have another Target members exclusive lesson for today, a new Fly On The Wall with Sandy learning to play the bass.

Last year, Sandy was given a bass from fellow IGCer Bob Schembre. She thought it might be a good idea to learn a little about playing it to accompany people at the next camp.

We went over some of the beginning bass concepts, starting with just playing the roots of chords as half notes, then a bit on alternating to the fifth like commonly happens in country songs.

We ended with a few important warnings and a little cable winding magic.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

familyman4

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm

I saw a picture of David Nachmanoff playing a bass guitar in a studio earlier today on FB. Now here's Sandy playing bass guitar at TG headquarters. What is the world coming to????

michelew

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Sandy - Fantastic that you've gotten into the bass! You're already doing so well. It's really fun and sounds cool with just roots, octaves and fifths. And it adds heaps of depth to what the guitarist is playing. You go gal!

FYI - because I've never played in an open mic situation or in a live band, I've never worried about getting an amp. All of my tracks have been recorded straight into GarageBand on either the iPad on my iMac. In fact, Sue rarely even hears it because I play with headphones on. But you can use the speakers in your iPhone, iPad and computer too if you do want the room to hear your playing as well. All you need is something like Apogee Jam.

GarageBand has a heap of different sounds that you can experiment with too. You're in for a world of fun.

Very, very cool! I look forward to hearing more.

I found the cord winding exercise interesting. I haven't seen that before.

Thanks for letting us share your lessons. I hope you have a ball.

Michele

willem

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 am

That was fun,, 1 and 5 playing half notes etc got it.. hope we get more bass information.

what a bout a standing bass Sandy?

sandysue

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm

familyman4 wrote:
I saw a picture of David Nachmanoff playing a bass guitar in a studio earlier today on FB. Now here's Sandy playing bass guitar at TG headquarters. What is the world coming to????
Hi Bart, Bob Schembre put a bunch of parts together and made me a bass guitar as a gift when him an his wife Marybeth came and stayed with me at the last GCI. I decided to actually learn how to play it, so Neil is teaching us how to play the bass now. Neil is just teaching the basics to begin with but It is actually really fun. However it does sort of force you to learn the notes on the fretboard on the 4 bottom strings so that you can get to the bass notes on time. Of course that's the hardest part. :S

sandysue

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:47 pm

michelew wrote:
Sandy - Fantastic that you've gotten into the bass! You're already doing so well. It's really fun and sounds cool with just roots, octaves and fifths. And it adds heaps of depth to what the guitarist is playing. You go gal!

FYI - because I've never played in an open mic situation or in a live band, I've never worried about getting an amp. All of my tracks have been recorded straight into GarageBand on either the iPad on my iMac. In fact, Sue rarely even hears it because I play with headphones on. But you can use the speakers in your iPhone, iPad and computer too if you do want the room to hear your playing as well. All you need is something like Apogee Jam.

GarageBand has a heap of different sounds that you can experiment with too. You're in for a world of fun.

Very, very cool! I look forward to hearing more.

I found the cord winding exercise interesting. I haven't seen that before.

Thanks for letting us share your lessons. I hope you have a ball.

Michele
Thanks for the great information Michele, I wish I would have known I could use my I phone or my garage band before I bought a practice bass amp. but I'm glad I have it now. I have heard you play the bass and you are really good at it, so I I thought that it would be really fun to be able to play the bass too. I'm still doing all of my acoustic guitar songs but just trying to find a little extra time for learning the bass guitar too. :)

Sandy

sandysue

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:52 pm

willem wrote:
That was fun,, 1 and 5 playing half notes etc got it.. hope we get more bass information.

Hi Willem, you mentioned on FB that you wanted to learn how to play the bass guitar so hopefully this will help a little. I think maybe knowing how to play the bass can help when you play guitar with other people. Even if you can only play the basics. :)

Sandy

willem

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:32 pm

sandysue wrote:
willem wrote:

Hi Willem, you mentioned on FB that you wanted to learn how to play the bass guitar so hopefully this will help a little. I think maybe knowing how to play the bass can help when you play guitar with other people. Even if you can only play the basics. :)

Sandy

yes it helped,, but only play roots and fifths is a bit sad,, hope you get into songs and do more rhythm's B)

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:43 pm

You're kidding right??

willem wrote:

but only play roots and fifths is a bit sad

Willem

daryl

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:59 pm

So how many bass players (with a bass guitar) do we have at TG?

Daryl
Michele
Vanessa
Sandy
Robert Schembre

Who else?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic