>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The First Cut Is The Deepest - Cat Stevens

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
haoli25

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, The First Cut Is The Deepest by Cat Stevens.

In 1966, Cat Stevens was looking toward a career as a songwriter and his song The First Cut Is The Deepest was recorded by P.P. Arnold.
In 1967, he recorded his own version for his second Album New Masters.

It pretty much languished in obscurity until Rod Stewart released his version in 1977, with some questionable changes to the original arrangement and chord progression.

This lesson looks at the subtleties Cat included in his version, as well as some variations he recently introduced.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

davidrfinn99165

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:43 am

Thx for this lesson Neil... I'm pleased that you like Cat's version of his own song the best haha !

Did you see him live a couple of years ago ?? I saw him in London and he played a great version of this . I was expecting that as he had been away from touring for some years he may have relied a little on the band to carry the show, but quite the reverse.... he was providing all the energy and drive, leading from the front with his guitar and piano work.. and as you say, he handled the triad intro to this song rather than leaving it to one of the lead guitarists. He also did a live version of his song Here Comes My Baby (hit for the Tremeloes) and seemed very proud of his early forgotten successes as a songwriter.

I also had the impression that he could handle al lot of the lead lines and second guitar parts himself as well... there's a great video of Cat on French Tv circa 1970 where he takes a melodic solo on Katmandu - ie rather than letting Alun play it.

/ david

auntlynnie

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:08 am

I never knew that was a Cat Stevens song.

Gee, it's amazing what I learn here!

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic