Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Angel Revisited with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
willem

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 am

wrsomers wrote:
willem wrote:
whats a trompet..

Willem[/b]
This is a trumpet Image[/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)

sandysue

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Bill and Willem

I saw a special on TV once about a group of people referred to as "idiot savant's". They were born with some limitations mentally or intellectually on the one hand but were brilliant in another aspect. Some of those people could hear a very complicated piece of music one time and be able to replicate it on a musical instrument like the piano, with minimal to no effort. I don't know if any of them played the trumpet Bill, but they definitely didn't need sheet music. :) I don't know what was different about their brains, but it would have been nice to inherit the second part of that syndrome. :)

Sandy

wrsomers

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Sandy,
I don't know about the savant part, but I'm always being called an idiot :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bill

sandysue

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Now your making me laugh Bill. Maybe I should be careful what I wish for. At least we can both play our favorite James Taylor tunes right, even if Neil semi-teasingly said it took me a decade to learn them. Oh wait maybe it was " I heard it Thru The Grape Vine" that took me forever to learn. OH well, who's counting anyway. :S :)

Sandy

TGNesh

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:40 pm

No, a song surely doesn't always end on chord I, I assume that's what you mean by 'key chord'. Sure it happens enough.

So when you listen to a song, try to listen for a chord that feels like 'home'. And yes, that could, for example, be the first or last chord of the song, or the first chord of a verse or chorus. So when you find that one, (quickly) run through the bassnotes on the bottom string, or two bottom strings and hear what matches. Once you establish that, then think of all the chords in that particular key. From there, listen to the song again and listen for the chord changes. Listen to the bass notes. Determine whether a chord is major or minor. And of course just try, at least the chords which are in the key.

Does that answer your question a bit? :)

willem wrote:

I wonder,, music is always ( maybe not always) ending on his key chord, would that be a quick result for finding key and work from that?

Willem

willem

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:40 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
No, a song surely doesn't always end on chord I, I assume that's what you mean by 'key chord'. Sure it happens enough.

So when you listen to a song, try to listen for a chord that feels like 'home'. And yes, that could, for example, be the first or last chord of the song, or the first chord of a verse or chorus. So when you find that one, (quickly) run through the bassnotes on the bottom string, or two bottom strings and hear what matches. Once you establish that, then think of all the chords in that particular key. From there, listen to the song again and listen for the chord changes. Listen to the bass notes. Determine whether a chord is major or minor. And of course just try, at least the chords which are in the key.

willem wrote:

I wonder,, music is always ( maybe not always) ending on his key chord, would that be a quick result for finding key and work from that?

Willem
yes it answers it very well and yes I mend chord 1..thank you Vanessa.

Sometimes I want to try such a thing but most of the time I just want to learn songs by lessons..

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Alright, then do me a favor and try one 'little' thing. Neil's latest 'Listen Up'-challenge. That one doesn't start with chord I. Try to find what feels like home and then check which key/chord that is. Just try! :)

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

willem wrote:

Willem
yes it answers it very well and yes I mend chord 1..thank you Vanessa.

Sometimes I want to try such a thing but most of the time I just want to learn songs by lessons..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic