Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Angel Revisited with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi gang,

We have a new Target members exclusive lesson for today, Angel Revisited with Sandy.

There was a question on the TG Forum recently about fingerpicking in 3/4 time. It got a little hijacked into thoughts about the time signature for Angel by Sarah McLachlan.

This part of Sandy’s lesson is mostly about the differences between 3/4 and 6/8, and why I might say the song is in 6/4 time.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

willem

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 pm

3/4- 6/8- 6/4--pffff, so many ways to write music down and adjust the BPM..

Willem

wrsomers

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:46 pm

willem wrote:

Willem
Yeah Willem. As Neil said it doesn't really matter what time signature it is. I know how to read music but I don't let it get in my way.
Louis Armstrong once said when asked if he ever learned to read music, "no and I don't want to know because it will just mess me up"
In other words, he just wanted to hear, feel, play and sing it. Here's a great example:

willem

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:14 pm

wrsomers wrote:
willem wrote:

Willem
Yeah Willem. As Neil said it doesn't really matter what time signature it is. I know how to read music but I don't let it get in my way.
Louis Armstrong once said when asked if he ever learned to read music, "no and I don't want to know because it will just mess me up"
In other words, he just wanted to hear, feel, play and sing it. Here's a great example:

well you got your dancing lady there

B) :laugh:

sandysue

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:56 pm

That's funny Willem, I agree the female dancer and accompaniment was fun to watch.

I agree with you Bill that many famous musicians never learn how to read music. Even Al Stewart told us at IGC the first year that he had no idea what chords he was playing, and he teased Neil for knowing all of them. I think it's really great to know both. It gives you many more tools to work with in the long run, as long as you don't get bogged down in the minutia when you are first learning.

Sandy

wrsomers

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Sandy,
You're right. Knowing both does help. Especially when working on Neil's tabs. I only wish that when I played the trumpet and when I play the piano, I could play without having to have the sheet music in front of me. It would have been more fun if I could have been able to play by ear. In high school we had a couple of musicians that could improvise at will. I always envied that. We had a trombone player that would sit on the stereo speakers and feel the music through his butt and play some really neat stuff (no joke). :) :P
Bill

sandysue

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:40 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Sandy,
You're right. Knowing both does help. Especially when working on Neil's tabs. I only wish that when I played the trumpet and when I play the piano, I could play without having to have the sheet music in front of me. It would have been more fun if I could have been able to play by ear. In high school we had a couple of musicians that could improvise at will. I always envied that. We had a trombone player that would sit on the stereo speakers and feel the music through his butt and play some really neat stuff (no joke). :) :P
Bill
Sometimes I ask Neil how to play a song that is not already on the TG site, and he will always say well lets listen to it, and in less than 5 seconds he will be able to completely dissect the song by ear and tell me everything about it. That always amazes me. i think it takes very special talent to be able to play by ear. I have tried a little bit to learn to play some of the melodies by ear but I have a much harder time with the bass. I don't like to always need my sheet music either so I learn the song from the standard notation and tabs and then I memorize it.

Sandy

willem

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:48 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Sandy,
Bill
I heard you improvised a violin on a harp, I don't think you had the notes from a sheet and man whats a trompet..

Willem

willem

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

sandysue wrote:
wrsomers wrote:
Sandy,
Bill
Sometimes I ask Neil how to play a song that is not already on the TG site, and he will always say well lets listen to it, and in less than 5 seconds he will be able to completely dissect the song by ear and tell me everything about it. That always amazes me. i think it takes very special talent to be able to play by ear. I have tried a little bit to learn to play some of the melodies by ear but I have a much harder time with the bass. I don't like to always need my sheet music either so I learn the song from the standard notation and tabs and then I memorize it.

Sandy
I wonder,, music is always ( maybe not always) ending on his key chord, would that be a quick result for finding key and work from that?

Willem

wrsomers

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:46 am

willem wrote:
whats a trompet..

Willem[/b][/quote]

This is a trumpet Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic