>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
willem

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson.

King Crimson's 1969 debut album was one of the first that started defining progressive rock. The pieces featured extended arrangements with instrumental sections.

Greg Lake has been reviving some of these songs in recent years so it seems like appropriate to take an acoustic look at the title tune.

The lesson includes many different techniques: arpeggio cross-picking, hybrid picking (using a pick and fingers), harmonics, picking a simple melody out while strumming, and playing parallel octaves while muting all the other strings.

Enjoy this level 6 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

davidrfinn99165

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 am

Wow, thx Neil, I didn't see this one coming.....

Back in the days we used to listen to this kind of stuff, this was the kind of stuff we used to listen to. :woohoo: :woohoo:

fjeanmur

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:28 am

Neil,

I didn't see this one coming either. Just looking at the title, I didn't think i would try it, but after watching the preview and seeing all the right hand techniques, I said I've got to give this one a try.

I already have a question. Why is the arpeggio picking all going down and then all going up rather than alternating as in "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "I'd Love to Change the World"? What's the difference here?

willem

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:39 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Neil,

I didn't see this one coming either. Just looking at the title, I didn't think i would try it, but after watching the preview and seeing all the right hand techniques, I said I've got to give this one a try.

I already have a question. Why is the arpeggio picking all going down and then all going up rather than alternating as in "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "I'd Love to Change the World"? What's the difference here?
that is a really good question , my thoughts would be making 1/8 notes tempo on downs and ups? (Not seen the lesson yet)

Willem

wrsomers

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:48 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Neil,

Jean,
I believe the answer to your question is that it's a style of flat picking called "cross picking".

Bill

fjeanmur

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am

wrsomers wrote:
fjeanmur wrote:
Neil,

Jean,
I believe the answer to your question is that it's a style of flat picking called "cross picking".

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yes, but why? What is the reason to use the one and not the other?

wrsomers

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:20 am

Jean,
I'm certainly no expert in this, but I've always thought that cross picking is a way to simulate finger picking with a flat pick. Also it is used to simulate banjo rolls (not in this song though). The technique is widely used in Bluegrass music ala Doc Watson. I think it evolved because in Bluegrass the guitar player uses a flat pick but might want to do a combination of strumming and banjo rolls. Cross picking would facilitate that. I could be all wrong here, but those are my thoughts.

Bill

TGNeil

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Gang,

I'm glad to see this has generated some interest and am not surprised that it seems to have come out of left field. I will answer the cross-picking question on the News today.

Neil

skaladar

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Neil, I just don’t know how to thank you for this. I have been listening to prog rock almost exclusively for the last two weeks since learning of the passing of Keith Emerson. A little prog rock love is definitely in order for me and what better way to do that but with a lesson by the masters, and who I consider to be the “fathers” of the genre, King Crimson.

I nearly fell off my chair back when “Epitaph” became a lesson and now seeing a lesson for “The Court of The Crimson King” is making my chair wobbly all over again. In fact, to revive and corny old joke, I Fripped out :-).

I enjoyed the clips of Greg Lake and his arrangements, in particular, his take on “21st Century Schizoid Man”. Hmm, Schizoid Man doesn’t seem too Acoustic guitar friendly but I’d love to see some parts of that added to the (is it still active?) “Intros, Riffs, and Licks” section. One can dream I suppose.

Thanks again for this addition. I’ve been through the lesson and, as usual, it looks great …
Guess it’s time for a new set of strings and to get to work.

♫ - Ken - ♫

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Gadzooks ! This teaching be like that unto which I doth aspire !

Thanks Neil :)
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic