>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend - Lobo

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend - Lobo.

This 1971 hit by Lobo is very similar to some of this others that we have recently looked at, and I am taking a similar, ear training approach. Listen to the original and see if you can figure out the key and main chords. This one is fingerpicking, with a slightly unusual twist, which we get to later in the lesson.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

guitardude7

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:31 am

I'm getting to like these listen and learn lessons, but I admit I have to rely more on the videos where Neil actually explains what's going on just because I have a limited amount of time to play/practice on a regular basis. I did spend some time on this one and got pretty good at it (I am also kind of a weak finger picker so I like to do songs where I can work on this). However, the videos on this one seemed really short and it was hard to figure some things out from them (at least for me). Maybe just do a couple extra minutes on some of these types of lessons explaining a little more? Also, it would really help to have a chart with the chords and lyrics. It took a long time for me to get the progression for the song down and I had to try to search internet tabs to get the part under the short harmonica solo (and they didn't look right to me). Anyway, a chart may be cheating but if you choose to learn it mostly by yourself before checking the answers with Neil's videos you don't have to look at the chart if you don't want to.

Otherwise, a great lesson and a cool song.

Thanks B)

TGNeil

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:12 am

guitardude7 wrote:
I'm getting to like these listen and learn lessons, but I admit I have to rely more on the videos where Neil actually explains what's going on just because I have a limited amount of time to play/practice on a regular basis. I did spend some time on this one and got pretty good at it (I am also kind of a weak finger picker so I like to do songs where I can work on this). However, the videos on this one seemed really short and it was hard to figure some things out from them (at least for me). Maybe just do a couple extra minutes on some of these types of lessons explaining a little more? Also, it would really help to have a chart with the chords and lyrics. It took a long time for me to get the progression for the song down and I had to try to search internet tabs to get the part under the short harmonica solo (and they didn't look right to me). Anyway, a chart may be cheating but if you choose to learn it mostly by yourself before checking the answers with Neil's videos you don't have to look at the chart if you don't want to.

Otherwise, a great lesson and a cool song.

Thanks B)
Hi There Guitardude,

Thanks for the comments on the lesson. I did forget to address the progression to the short solo so let me ask you something.

What section do you hear that seems to be starting right when the progression diverts from the two main chords?
How far into that does it get before it returns to to the main two?

One of the responses I got to the Listen Up Challenge on How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away was somebody originally thought there were 3 parts, verse, chorus, and solo. The solo included different melodies played on different instruments, giving the impression that it was a completely different progression.

Listen to the harmonica part but ignore the harmonica and dial in to the guitar, and particularly the bass notes.

On another note, I did make a chart and a tab to few measures of the picking. I just forgot to attach it to the lesson. Coming up soon.

Thanks,

Neil

guitardude7

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:27 am

I heard the G to Am7 twice and then I thought it was the chorus chords but where the Em should have been it sounded off to me. I couldn't find anything on the internet that sounded right so I decided it was the chorus chords.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic