>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Heart Of The Matter - Don Henley

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tombo1230

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, The Heart Of The Matter by Don Henley.

The Heart Of The Matter is a song recorded by American singer and Eagles member Don Henley from his third solo studio album ‘The End Of The Innocence.’

This lesson is mostly based on the acoustic version that Henley performed with The Eagles at their reunion concert ‘Hell Freezes Over.'

It covers the rhythm guitar part, primarily done by Glen Frey, as well as Don Felder’s travis style picking arrangement. I decided to teach his part in standard tuning, but there is a segment added which shows the chord shapes in Dropped D tuning, as Felder plays it.

Since Henley has taken the key of the song down a whole step in later years, we also take a look at the key of C. The rhythm guitar part can be easily played the same way as in the original key of D, but it shows another guitar part, which uses power chord shapes, as well.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

wrsomers

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:49 am

Hi Ness!

I've always loved this song but never tried to play and sing it because of the range. Seeing your lesson and trying it an octave lower( in the voice) shows me I can do it. I loved the detail you put into the lesson; 11 parts...I guess that just about covers it :) :P .

Your play through was, as usual, excellent in every way. Did I detect a little reverb added to the sound track?

Adding the finger picking/drop D/Key of C versions is going above and beyond the call of duty and very much appreciated.

Bottom line... another outstanding lesson, thanks for you efforts!!!

Bill

TGNesh

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:22 am

That's so good to hear Bill, thank you very much! And yeah, i did get a little carried away getting into the several guitar parts :S :laugh: Really happy that you appreciate it!

And yep, added a little bit of reverb, well noticed! Although I'm not surprised that you noticed. ;) Actually our collab inspired me to give it a try, which i had actually already done with The Rose, a couple of weeks ago. It's always a nice addition. There is a reason for people usually singing in the shower! :laugh: (btw I never do.) Did you think it was enough, or too much, too little?

In any way, many thanks for your kind comment! I'm of curious for your rendition of it, so....... :cheer:

Ness

wrsomers wrote:
Hi Ness!

I've always loved this song but never tried to play and sing it because of the range. Seeing your lesson and trying it an octave lower( in the voice) shows me I can do it. I loved the detail you put into the lesson; 11 parts...I guess that just about covers it :) :P .

Your play through was, as usual, excellent in every way. Did I detect a little reverb added to the sound track?

Adding the finger picking/drop D/Key of C versions is going above and beyond the call of duty and very much appreciated.

Bottom line... another outstanding lesson, thanks for you efforts!!!

Bill

wrsomers

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:36 am

Ness,
The reverb was good but just a touch more wouldn't hurt. I heard it because I was listening with headphones. I might have missed it otherwise. You might just hear my rendition on the busking channel someday, or perhaps at IGC.

Bill

PS. "Hell Freezes Over" is one of my all-time favorite albums.

michelew

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:15 am

Another beautiful song Ness. Nice touch adding all the different versions. Gosh woman! There's no doubt that we get value for money with all of your lessons. Actually :) I think you're now incapable of making a short or even a medium sized lesson. :) :P once you're in teacher mode you just have to keep going until you've ... Well I was going to say "until you've pointed out all of the details you hear" but I know you've probably got even more up you're sleeve and you have to sleep sometime. :)

So two playthroughs - quite different feeling in each too. Nice! I really liked them both. At the moment....I think the strumming version is winning out for me, in terms of your performances. It has a different energy and .... Maybe it's the way I'm used to hearing it too. But the fingerpicking version is really beautiful and I like hearing the chords broken up in that way.

Well I could go on of course as I do. :) but Bill beat me to the rave so I'll just short-hand it and say "what he said" :)

Beautiful, sad song.

Thanks Ness.

M

willem

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:13 am

Wow Nesh,, again a super lesson,

enjoyed both play throughs, your voice and guitar sounded great, this song must mean a lot to you, i could see that in your expression and hear it in your singin'

Willem

crieniecat

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes, beautiful song. With a very special memory to it.
For me (and maybe Ness as well) this song will always be dedicated to a dear friend of mine, who lost the battle against breast cancer, not too long ago.

When we found out she was ill I asked her for her bucket list. Within just a few days it was all arranged...
Going to Euro Disney with her 4 small daughters for the first time, and singing and recording this song were one of her last wishes.
So yes of course they went to Paris and I was only too blessed to be asked to accompany them, and make sure the girls would feel as if they were real princesses.

And yes, my dear friend Vanessa was only too happy to have us at her place and to accompany and record some precious loving memories for her daughters and other family and friends. I'll never forget that.
Inge would have become 42 years old on April 4th.

Thanks Ness, my sweet friend, for recording this song with heart and soul.... X

Corina.

dottmcse85630

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 pm

For me this is one of those songs that make you want to learn to play the guitar. Yep I am a late in life learner, been playing for 2 years now.
I searched YouTube for instructional vid's on Heart of the Matter, not many and they fell short.
I picked up the sheet music hoping to be able to garner something playable from it but no, not really, even whilst listening to the song.
Wasn't till I joined TG that my learning really picked up and even though I still suck I suck much better now!

ELATION, euphoria, satisfaction, I fell to my knees when I saw the new post for this song. I knew even before viewing the lesson sets that I would be able to pick it up, maybe after a few viewings.
Much to my surprise Ness' instruction was/is superb. In no time I was able to overcome the rough bits of the song, kinda the Oh Ya you dummy, sayin to myself.

THANK YOU so much Ness. This isn't the first virtual "Grammy" you have earned from my perspective, but it is a really big shinny one at that!

Dennis

familyman4

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 am

Hello Vanessa, Well here we go again.....

I am late to the party but I would like to say how impressed with you I am. AGAIN and again and again. I am a huge Eagles fan and that includes all of the members when they went solo as well. I actually attended the "Hell Freezes Over" tour (and have the T-shirt to prove it :) ) and it was fantastic!

Anyway, like I usually do, I went straight to the play through(s) and watched your performance of both the HFO version and Don Felder's finger picking. Yep, just as I suspected, it was brilliant! The playing and the singing, the total package. Do they have a version of "American Idol" or "The Voice" over there? "The Holland Idol" I guess it would be called... You're the winner!

Back to the song, I need more time to go through all of your segments but I'm sure it isn't as easy as you make it look. I cannot wait to retire so I can learn every song on this site that appeals to me. Which is most of them by the way.

Can't wait to see you again in August and looking forward to playing a tune or two together!

Stay safe, keep "em coming and always remember that "You've Got A Friend".

Bart

TGNesh

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:36 am

Hey guys and girls!

This lesson got quite out of hand :ohmy: :laugh: and it's always icing on the cake when hearing that it's appreciated. I really couldn't be more happy for all your generous comments and compliments, makes it all so worthwhile! :blush: :cheer:

Bill: I'd LOVE to hear your rendition!! :) HFO is definitely in my top five of all time favorite albums as well, have watched it a zillion times!

Michele: You're right, lately most of my lessons tend to get out of hand. :laugh: There is always so much to show, or talk about or point out. Here and there I just need to let it go. :S I'm not sure which one would win out for me, picking or strumming...The picking version is just really nice to play. Still when performing, I would strum it. But around a campfire late at night, I might go for picking instead. ;) Thank you very much sweet friend, I'll take a 'what he said' for sure! ;)

Willem: It always makes me smile when you call me Nesh. :) :) Yes, the song means a lot to me. Not necessarily lyrically, but more since it's attached to many different and special occasions. I've performed it several times, including a 10 years weddings anniversary of my best friends. Of course it didn't fit the occasion :laugh: , but like me, they just loved the song, since it's so beautiful, and wanted me to play it anyway. (along with Jailhouse Rock!! B)) On the other side of the spectrum, i had recorded it on video with Inge (as Corina points out) and it was played and shown on screen at her funeral six weeks later......In thruth, I don't know what to feel....but as you could see and hear, the song is very special to me for sure. Thank you very much Willem!

Corina: That afternoon, when we recorded all those songs together....can't be captured in words. We laughed, sung, cried and laughed some more. I remember when i heard from you that she wouldn't survive and I didn't know what to say to hear to her, except to ask her if she would feel up to coming over to play and sing together. It was the only thing I could do for her, that I could think of and that I had to offer. And this song was of course by far the most special one that we did together...It's unforgettable.....I sure put my heart and soul in it, as I did now as well. Thanks so much my dear friend...xoxo

Dennis: A virtual big shiny 'Grammy'? Wow!! :blush: :cheer: I am réally thrilled to hear that it helped you to overcome the rough bits!! I of course knew that you love this song. :) Btw I don't think you give yourself enough credits, i think it's awesome that you've picked up the guitar, whenever that is ;) . And I'm of course very glad that you've learned so much through TG. In any way, thank you so much for your generous and 'elation/euphoria' loaded comment :cheer: and you're SO welcome! Anything to get you to camp! :P ;)

Bart: And AGAIN you make me smile, since gosh you're so generous!! Just know that I always appreciate it. The Voice of Holland (actually The Voice-concept was invented by a dutch guy, he made some money as you can imagine ;) ), haha, not sure about that, but i take the compliment! :P You've attended the HFO-tour?? Awesome!! I'm sure playing the song will be easy enough for you. Like you I absolutely can't wait for August to finally play together as well!! And yes, I'll stay out of injury :ohmy: :) Thanks for the last reminder Bart, you're a sweetheart! :kiss:

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic