>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
lueders

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc.

10cc is an English art rock band who achieved their greatest commercial success in the 1970s. Their hit ‘Dreadlock Holiday’ is a reggae song written by Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman from their 1978 album ‘Bloody Tourists’.

Among two other sources, the lyrics were apparently inspired by real events that happened to Eric Stewart and Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues when they went on holiday together in Barbados.

In this lesson we take a look at the acoustic version as performed by the band in more recent years. The song features a relatively easy progression in the key of Gm and is raised a half step to G#m in the third verse.

The good news is that the strumming is one set pattern throughout the whole song. The ‘bad’ news is that it must be played with barre chords only.

The trick for the latter is to minimize muscle tension in the body as much as possible. For that, a segment with a few pointers is included.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Cool song and lesson Ness! Did not know Justin Hayward was involved.... interesting.

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Vanessa

That's a great song.
Is there anything you can't play ?

Vanessa is Pink Pink Sunshine for sure !!

Dermot

:ohmy:

michelew

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Hey TGNessa!

This looks like a lot of fun to play. Well absolutely a work out too. But with your EXCELLENT segment - Part 3: Relax - about being aware of body tension and how to reduce it when playing barre chords especially, well I'm sure that barre chords and I will get a little friendlier. :)

I always enjoy playing songs with rhythmic muting too; very cool.

I LOVE your work. Thanks!

Shel

willem

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:00 am

Well I said it on FB, I REALY like this lesson(too)..all the segments..

Willem B)

PS: a get together?? be sure you film it,,I can guess a few names but ........................CCN & DN...lol

davidrfinn99165

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 am

Thx Ness for another great lesson.

I can't actually say i loved this song back when it was first released, but seeing it stripped back to the core acoustic rhythm and barre chords then i am having a good time with it already.

/ david

wrsomers

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:10 am

Ness,
Another great lesson. I must echo Michele regarding section 3 of the lesson. An EXCELLENT segment. All of the information you gave is very valuable. Tension is a killer in everything we do. Music, sports, use of the mind; as you said the topic is the subject of a book. All tension begins in the mind and travels to the body...and then back to the mind. Relaxation frees the mind and the body. Relaxed muscles are fast, tense muscles are slow...etc., etc., etc.

The segment on use of the index finger in barre chords is also quite good and important.

Thanks for all your hard work, and for giving us the benefit of your knowledge, and talent!

Bill

TGNesh

Mon May 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Hey guys and Shel, needles to say, but I'm of course very happy with all your comments!

Chris: Thanks Chris! And yep, those must have been scary/weird moments for Justin. :ohmy: I never realized what the song was about. It's really nice to research songs when working on a lesson. The song sounds like fun, but it actually wasn't. Oh well, they've survived! :laugh:

David: That's awesome to hear David! I guess, you already know that it's my general approach with song-lessons. I aim for 'how to perform it with just one guitar'. So I tend to look for solo and/or acoustic (stripped down) performances and indeed bumped into this one. Thought it'd be a great lesson. Great to hear you're working on it already! Many thanks David!

Dermot: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :kiss:

Michele: Really pleased that you could appreciate segment 3 Shel! :cheer: I thought it was great opportunity to get into it. And i really hope that even if one doesn't want to learn the song per se, does get something out of that, since it's ALWAYS applicable, whenever you play. Let me know if your relationship with barre chords is getting closer :P. But yes, other than that, it sure is a fun song to play! Thanks so much sweet friend xoxo

Willem: Yep i heard you loud and clear and with even a try out!!! :) :) And yes, you got good ears! :P Of course, there will be video-proof! ;) Many thanks again Willem!

Bill: Thank you very much Bill for your generous comment, I really appreciate it! And you're só right about all that. It's amazing how the body works, I find it immensely fascinating. So I'm echoing myself, what i said to Shel, really happy that you thought it was valuable. Thanks again sweet man, big hug! Can't wait to give you a real one! :cheer:

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic