>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Drive - The Cars

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Tue May 31, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Drive by The Cars.

The Cars are an American rock band that emerged from the new wave scene in the late 1970s.

Drive is the third single from their 1984 album ‘Heartbeat City’ and their biggest international hit.

This lesson shows how Ric Ocasek, who wrote the song, performs it by himself. This version is very simple and consists of basically four chords and easy strumming.

It also covers the album version, which involves more chords and a few differences in the progression. It’s groove/feel is different too, so we take a look at a few possible simple ways to copy it on the guitar.

For vocal reasons, I prefer to play the song in the key of D and I figured that other female vocalists might wanna do the same. For that a segment of playing in that key is included.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

michelew

Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 pm

Very nice Ness!

Two keys, three playthrough segments, 8 parts, no stone left unturned. Thorough as always.

Thanks for thinking of those of us with higher voices, my capo will get a well deserved rest. .... Probably. :)

Another cool blast from the past.

Thanks teach!

:kiss:

wrsomers

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Ness!
Another great lesson. Seems like you've been working overtime...8 sections!! The thing I love about the play throughs is how your vocals make a rather monotonous accompaniment just sound so beautiful. I vote for the drop D version because the bass adds a lot of depth and interest while it balances your higher vocals. Bottom line...another outstanding effort. Thanks.

Bill

TGNesh

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Haha, yeah I must be out of my mind! I SO planned to keep it short. :ohmy: :blink: B) :laugh: I guess, once i've turned a song upside down, which i always do when preparing a lesson for it, that I just want to share everything. For this one, obviously how I would play it personally. I did come to like Ric's version very much actually. That's weird too, there is a whole process for me happening when preparing and recording. And also after hearing myself covering a few different versions. Anyway, been bouncing back and forth and almost didn't add my own take on the song.

Oh well, eventually this is it. :) Thanks so much my friend, indeed another one from the past! ;)

Ness

michelew wrote:
Very nice Ness!

Two keys, three playthrough segments, 8 parts, no stone left unturned. Thorough as always.

Thanks for thinking of those of us with higher voices, my capo will get a well deserved rest. .... Probably. :)

Another cool blast from the past.

Thanks teach!

:kiss:

TGNesh

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Such a generous comment and compliment Bill, thank you very much!

Great to hear you like the dropped D-version. I really wasn't sure if I should add it. Been bouncing back and forth a LOT, drove me nuts. :blink:

Many thanks sweet man, you made me smile for sure! :) :)

Ness

wrsomers wrote:
Hi Ness!
Another great lesson. Seems like you've been working overtime...8 sections!! The thing I love about the play throughs is how your vocals make a rather monotonous accompaniment just sound so beautiful. I vote for the drop D version because the bass adds a lot of depth and interest while it balances your higher vocals. Bottom line...another outstanding effort. Thanks.

Bill

davidrfinn99165

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:52 pm

I must have slept through the 80s, where does all this great stuff come from ??

Excellent lesson Ness, many thx. Though it must have taken them less time to write it, record it, go out to celebrate, book a tour, go on tour.....pick up their awards....

haha i'm being playful (mean !!)... loved it thx !!!

crieniecat

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:15 pm

:) Again a nice one Ness...
I just realized the song does give the feel of being driven home, amazing eh?
How the melody of the song tells the story, just like that, very laid back....

TGNesh

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Are you seriously saying you didn't know this one David?? :blink:

And yeah I hear you funny man :P , the amount of segments is crazy!!!! :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh: Should/could have done it in 3 parts or so! :S B)

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
I must have slept through the 80s, where does all this great stuff come from ??

Excellent lesson Ness, many thx. Though it must have taken them less time to write it, record it, go out to celebrate, book a tour, go on tour.....pick up their awards....

haha i'm being playful (mean !!)... loved it thx !!!

TGNesh

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm actually not sure how the song makes me feel. It's sad. I think it's about a drug addict or alcoholic, who's life is falling apart. And someone who loves her is trying to get through to her. He points out that when intoxicated she's not able to drive home (kinda used as a metaphor for the state she's in). He's obviously not doing so anymore, but still cares deeply for her. Something like that. In any way, I've always found it such a gorgeous song, it has a beautiful intense feel to it.

Thanks babe! :)

crieniecat wrote:
:) Again a nice one Ness...
I just realized the song does give the feel of being driven home, amazing eh?
How the melody of the song tells the story, just like that, very laid back....

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:47 pm

:ohmy:

The real secret to perfect practice :dry:

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic