>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - If I Needed You - Townes Van Zandt

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
declark04539

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm

I just discovered the song today, and as a result, found the TG lesson for it. Nicely done, Vanessa. I think this will be one of the things that finally gets me to learn Travis picking.
I wasn't able to view the video posted above that's from the movie, but I had previously seen this on Wikipedia: "The song is also covered in the Belgian film The Broken Circle Breakdown, where the Broken Circle Breakdown Bluegrass Band, including actors Johan Heldenbergh and Veerle Baetens sing it live." Guy Clark, Doc Watson, and Lyle Lovett are among other artists who have covered it.

Good stuff. :)

TGNesh

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 am

Hey Doug,

Getting into Travis Picking is a great goal, it'll open a whole world for you. And this is such a gorgeous song too.

And you're right, it's been covered by lots and lots of artists. In the movie that you mention, it's pretty sad though. While for example Joey+Rory's (+daughter) version is much more romantic and tender, they give it more of a happy feel.

Thanks for tuning in Doug, let me know how it goes!

Ness

declark04539 wrote:
I just discovered the song today, and as a result, found the TG lesson for it. Nicely done, Vanessa. I think this will be one of the things that finally gets me to learn Travis picking.
I wasn't able to view the video posted above that's from the movie, but I had previously seen this on Wikipedia: "The song is also covered in the Belgian film The Broken Circle Breakdown, where the Broken Circle Breakdown Bluegrass Band, including actors Johan Heldenbergh and Veerle Baetens sing it live." Guy Clark, Doc Watson, and Lyle Lovett are among other artists who have covered it.

Good stuff. :)

Rbinding

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Funny, I was just working on this song out of an Acoustic Guitar magazine. I completely forgot Ness had posted this lesson! Thanks for the reminder Doug, and thanks for the lesson, Ness!

Ron

jayswett

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Yes, this is a great song and a great lesson. I made some progress on it when it first came out, but seeing this reminded me that I never finished the job. Planning on spending some time on it tomorrow.

TGNesh

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey Ron and Jay, great to hear you're working on this one guys! :)

Actually, it would be awesome to play together next IGC! Nowadays it's become a bit of a 'to go to' song for Corina and me, just always nice to sing together.

crieniecat

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Hey Ron and Jay, great to hear you're working on this one guys! :)

Actually, it would be awesome to play together next IGC! Nowadays it's become a bit of a 'to go to' song for Corina and me, just always nice to sing together.
Absolutely, a really enchanting song. Nice to hear that it "works" for so many TG-ers as well :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic