>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Stormy - The Classics IV

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
Max

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Stormy by The Classics IV.

Although some might consider them a 3-hit wonder, The Classics IV were a very talented and creative band. Their 1968 hit Stormy, written by bandmates Dennis Yost, James Cobb, and Buddy Buie, made it to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The song features a jazzy progression, percussive strumming, some nice guitar fills, and a sax solo, which are all covered in the lesson. There is also a short segment on double-time strumming.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

willem

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Nice lesson Neil..

good weekend :)

guitardude7

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:20 am

Great Lesson!

Notes/Questions:

Maybe it's because of all the rock tabs I've learned from over the years, but it's easier to play the Gmaj7 for me using the thumb on the 6th string and then fingers 1, 2, and 3 on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings respectively.

On the solo, I hear some notes right before sliding into the 12th fret high E. Can anyone tell me what they are? I've tried the 12-11-10 pull off on the high E and also a 10-9-8 pull off on the 2nd string and both sound good to me.

It's also easier for me to play the Em9 like this: 02x032 with my 1st,3rd and 2nd fgr, muting the 4th stg with my 1st fgr. It still has all the notes and for me (due to arthritis/carpal tunnel/etc) it is a lot easier to play and allows me to change chords quicker. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Neil, this is a great lesson.

I find the third finger mute tricky !
Watching your video when you flatten the third finger and relax the fingers, your fingers barely move to relax.
My fingers want to lift away from the strings, even when I focus on them, some strings ring.

Don't get me wrong, I can do it and it sounds fine as the fingers are moving to change chord any way.
I also find it's quite a light touch of the flattening third finger across the strings.

I just noticed that when you explain the technique (isolated) as your third finger flattens your fingers don't seem to move much at all when relaxing .

Have you any other tips / thoughts how to practice this muting technique with respect to economy of finger motion and just how much economy is
considered good practice ?

I like the sound from the chords in this song.

Dermot

:)

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Neil

I've been working on the strum third finger mute.
I think I'm getting there.
I have found that when holding the Am7 chord if I keep the first and second fingers pressed down
then the third finger mute works for me. The fourth finger still wants to move about a little as the third finger moves,
so find I have to focus on controlling the 4th finger independently of the third finger movement.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic