>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Fix You - Coldplay

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Fix You by Coldplay.

Fix You is a song by the British rock band Coldplay. It was written by all four members of the band for their third studio album ‘X&Y’, released in 2005. The album became a significant commercial success and reached the top spot on many charts worldwide, including the UK and the US.

The arrangement is in the key of Eb, which is not a guitar friendly key. A simple way to get around that is to transpose it to the key of C, where the guitar is capoed on the third fret.

Even though the song features only five chords, it needs no explanation why it is a challenge to cover.

The heart and soul of the song lies in how it gradually builds up moving from one part to another. For that, the power of the right hand is crucial. So besides going through the chords and the progression, we also take a look at how to try and capture that feel when it’s just you and your guitar.

There is also a segment which covers how Chris Martin during one occasion plays it on the guitar, by tuning it to Eb-A-D-G-Bb-Eb. Tuning the two top strings down results in a few colorful chords and a bit of theory is included.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:13 am

:ohmy:

TGNesh

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks Dermot, yes it's quite an emotional song, gives me goosebumps évery time I hear it. Actually I prefer this performance:

Martin has stated a few things about the song, but not really what the specific inspiration was. But it could be directed to his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow who had just lost her father. He did write it on this keyboard that her father had bought just before he died. Also Gwyneth's mother says it's about her daughter losing her father and having a hard time dealing with it. It's also the song that means the most to the members of Coldplay, it got them through a difficult two years.

In any way, i think it's always included on their playlist when doing a concert. Actually they were just here in Amsterdam, another world tour, along with their new album, which I haven't checked out already. I first needed to get this one of my chest. Actually it's in my top ten of most beautiful songs ever. With all the instrumentation and intensity in the arrangement, I didn't think I could pull it off..... But I felt, it's just a too beautiful song to not cover it and I did find a way which i'm content with, at least enough content. :)

thereshopeyet wrote:

:ohmy:

wrsomers

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:50 am

Hi Ness,
Oh, you did pull it off! Your voice has never sounded better. It is clear that this song touches you. It comes through in your delivery. I haven't gotten through the whole lesson yet, but I couldn't not write something now because I just love what you've done with this song.

Bill

TGNesh

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 am

You're warming my heart Bill, that's so kind... :blush: ...can't wait to give you a real hug! :cheer: :kiss:

wrsomers wrote:
Hi Ness,
Oh, you did pull it off! Your voice has never sounded better. It is clear that this song touches you. It comes through in your delivery. I haven't gotten through the whole lesson yet, but I couldn't not write something now because I just love what you've done with this song.

Bill

willem

Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:22 am

I agree with Bill, beautiful singin, well it is a beautiful song..

W.

TGNesh

Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am

Thank you very much Willem, I really appreciate it. You're right, béáutiful song, very glad you liked my vocals on it! :)

willem wrote:
I agree with Bill, beautiful singin, well it is a beautiful song..

W.

michelew

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:39 am

WOW!!! ....

Gosh Ness that performance is just so beautiful, haunting, powerful.... Truely heartbreaking... I can't do it justice with wor.

Teary here ....

Beyond your goooooorgeous vocals - gosh so expressive

... Your playing was magic and so powerfully stirring, so sweet at the beginning and the way you build it up is incredible, that fast strumming..wow that will take some time to get down if I ever do. WOW!!

My hero! I can't get enough.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:57 pm

That was a cracking play through on my favourite Chris Martin song, Ness, lovely job!

Chris Martin ...yep, that really is my middle name! :laugh:

TGNesh

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Michele: :blush: Wow......I couldn't ask for higher praise :ohmy: :blush: ....like I said above, before I didn't think that it could be done with just one guitar and vocal part. Then i thought: 'oh what the %#$, just do it, it's a too beautiful of a song to not cover it. Just máke it work!' Thanks so much my dear friend. It was already official :P , but you're my biggest and most supportive fan for sure!! :cheer: :kiss: B)

Chris: So I hear from a well informed source that you're name is indeed Chris Martin and that you've spend some time with me yesterday evening! :laugh: B) It's definitely my favorite Coldplay song as well, gives me shivers every time I hear it or even play it myself.....the emotional intensity of the lyrics is just so fantastically expressed through the music....Also very glad you like the play through, it was a challenge of course. Many thanks my friend, big hug to you!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic