>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Hava Nagila - Israeli Folk Song

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
cosmicmechanic

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Hava Nagila - Israeli Folk Song.

Hava Nagila (Let Us Rejoice) is an Israeli folk song, traditionally sung at Jewish celebrations. It has been covered by many artists, including Harry Belafonte, Neil Diamond, Chubby Checker and Connie Francis.

This lesson covers both the melody and accompaniment in the keys of E and B. The chord shapes for the key of E are particularly easy to move up or down, in order to match one’s vocal range.

Besides the relatively easy progression, we also take a thorough look at the exotic sounding Jewish scale used for the melody, also known as the Phrygian dominant scale, or the 5th mode of the harmonic minor scale.

No matter if you play the accompaniment or the melody, there is quite a bit of technique necessary for both hands. Correct left hand positioning, for example, is crucial and a few tips and suggestions are presented.

Since there are many versions and arrangements out there, anyone tackling this song is encouraged to arrange the song any way they'd like. Personally I very much enjoyed Harry Belafonte’s version along with Danny Kaye, so a few suggestions for that version are included.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

michelew

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:53 pm

TGNess,

OMG! How much fun was that!!! :)

If people aren't dancing somewhere in their body when they hear this they're dead. Bus dancing. My new favorite thing. :)

My gosh Ness you sounded FANTASTIC in the playthrough. Brilliant.

There you go again shaking things up and teaching us yet again something different. I doubt many would have seen this coming.

Shel

:kiss: :kiss:

Oh by the way, aren't you suppose to be on holidays?!? :silly:

wrsomers

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Ness,
Another fabulous lesson. I loved the energy and your Hebrew is very good. L'Chaim!
Bill

BigBear

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Absolutely one of the most fun lessons ever!! Thanks Ness! As a good Presbyterian I've always loved that song (LOL!) but never thought I could actually play it. The lyrics will take a little work but what a great song!!

Well done Ness! You're brilliant!!

TGNesh

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:21 am

Hey Bear, how great to hear from you! :cheer: And with such a kind comment as well, really pleased to hear that!

I'm also glad that 'fun' seems to be the word here, it definitely is for me too. The song is just MUCH FUN to play, to sing, to dance at. It makes me happy, even though I didn't know the translation of the lyrics for many years. 'Let us rejoice', how it fits!!

Now as a good Presbyterian, you got to play and sing this one!! :P

Thanks so much sweet Bear, will miss you again this year :( ....but you're in our hearts and thoughts for sure.

Big hug, Ness

BigBear wrote:
Absolutely one of the most fun lessons ever!! Thanks Ness! As a good Presbyterian I've always loved that song (LOL!) but never thought I could actually play it. The lyrics will take a little work but what a great song!!

Well done Ness! You're brilliant!!

TGNesh

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:34 am

Toda raba!! :cheer:

I was wondering about my 'hebrew accent'! :laugh: Good to hear it wasn't too bad!

Thanks so much for another kind comment Bill, love your support. And like i said to Bear, I just find the song so much fun, I can barely sit still, haha! I'd be curious how Dave would do it, after all he is jewish. I can imagine he would turn it into a fun show and sing along.

Many thanks again Bill! L'Chaim!

wrsomers wrote:
Hi Ness,
Another fabulous lesson. I loved the energy and your Hebrew is very good. L'Chaim!
Bill

TGNesh

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:45 am

Bus dancing, haha! :D That's good to hear Shel, so much fun for sure!!!

SO glad you liked the play through! For some reason I thought it would look silly if i would play it by myself, but i couldn't help it and went for it anyway. ;)

It sure is a sudden twist in lesson choice, I do like to do that here and there. And I love the 'we didn't see that one coming'. B)

And yes, I got over here in California Thursday evening. Have already done lots of things. Touring in San Francisco, took a CrossFit class and went up the hills/mountains for a looooong hike. And just had a fabulous time with my family here, they are spoiling me for sure!

Todo raba my sweet friend! :kiss: See you soon!!

michelew wrote:
TGNess,

OMG! How much fun was that!!! :)

If people aren't dancing somewhere in their body when they hear this they're dead. Bus dancing. My new favorite thing. :)

My gosh Ness you sounded FANTASTIC in the playthrough. Brilliant.

There you go again shaking things up and teaching us yet again something different. I doubt many would have seen this coming.

Shel

:kiss: :kiss:

Oh by the way, aren't you suppose to be on holidays?!? :silly:

wrsomers

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:50 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
[quote]Toda raba!! :cheer:

Toda Raba Motek :)

BigBear

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:44 pm

תודה רבה מותק How's my Hebrew?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic