Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Freight Train with Ed

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
dekotaj

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi everyone,

We have a new Target members exclusive lesson for today, Freight Train with Ed.

Ed and Neil had just come back from our guitar camp and Ed brought up Freight Train, by Elizabeth Cotten.

They first tried to get the melody straight and incorporate it into the basic progression, then listened to Dave Nachmanoff’s song Kindred Spirits, which he wrote about playing with her as a child.

They talked about how important it is to know the lyrics to songs you are trying to play instrumentally and trying to play it by ear.

They also listened to versions by ‘Libba’ Cotten, Chet Atkins, Peter Paul & Mary, and Joan Baez to compare melodies.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

thereshopeyet

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Neil and Ed

Thanks for sharing your Freight Train FOTW.

Dermot

davidrfinn99165

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:46 pm

Thx so much Neil and Ed - you FOTW guys.. and gals..are my heroes.

so many comments - i'll stick to three..

- great to hear Kindred Spirits again

- did i read correctly that Elizabeth Cotton played as a leftie but 'upside down'??? ie she turned the guitar over but didn't restring so played 1-6 rather than 6-1?? that can't be right.. it does my head in to even think about it...

- to my ears Joan Baez wins on singing and musicality... PPM harmonies don't seem to work on this one but Joanie nails it.... wasn't someone gonna sing Diamonds and Rust at guitar camp ?????

familyman4

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:48 pm

1st: Thanks for sharing the FOTW episode Ed and Neil. I enjoyed your lesson.

2nd: Dermot, thanks for sharing the videos of David Nachmanoff and Elizabeth Cotton. I have heard David perform this song many times and always enjoy the history that goes along with it. It is so interesting how they met and that she asked him to perform with her a couple weeks later. Then, to see that she plays a right handed guitar left handed, I would have never known this fact. Everything is completely upside down for her. Bass string on the bottom and high E on the top. Pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing!
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic