>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - L.A. Freeway - Guy Clark

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
Chasplaya

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, L.A. Freeway by Guy Clark.

Guy Clark, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, was an American country and folk singer-songwriter from Texas. He was described as ‘a king of the Texas troubadours’.

He has released more than twenty albums and his songs have been covered and recorded by numerous artists, such as Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Steve Wariner, Brad Paisley, John Denver, Emmylou Harris and many more.

L.A. Freeway appears on his 1975 debut album ‘Old No.1’. and is one of the songs that helped launch his career.

The song has a simple progression and uses only three chords in the key of G, where the guitar is capoed on the second fret.

It features a beautiful signature fingerpicking melody in the intro, which keeps appearing throughout the verses as well.

Keep in mind, Guy Clark has been playing this song for over 40 years. Even though he keeps the melody mostly in the same places, he does play through the arrangement randomly and a very free style. Anyone trying to tackle this song is encouraged to do the same.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

lcintokyo

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Fantastic, thanks very much, Vanessa!

familyman4

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello Vanessa,

I certainly never saw this one coming....

I am sure this will make out folks from the great state of Texas very happy!!!

Bart

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Vanessa:

I didn't know you were working on this one. I love this song, and I think your lesson is wonderful. I can get through the chords in a simple picking pattern, but the little melody had kind of eluded me for a while. Thanks for taking the time to make this lesson. :-)

Jason

shinbonepaul

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:44 pm

An awesome add, Ness! Beautifully played as usual. One more to add to my list; a long list. Thanks!

jayswett

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:59 am

Another great lesson. Getting the hang of that intro. Slow, but making progress.

TGNesh

Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Luke: You're very welcome Luke!

Bart: Yeah, I can see why you didn't saw this one coming! :) In fact, I didn't know Guy Clark at all, but it was a student of mine who pointed him out to me. Very nice song to play. I'm pretty impressed by his career I have to say, how could I have missed him?! :dry:

Jason: Oh yes, now that you mention it, we actually played and sang a bit at IGC! I had indeed worked out the song and wanted to do a play through with Bill, live that is, instead of online. But as you know....time wasn't on our side, way too many other things to do. :) I sure hope you can make the intro work, in fact, I'm sure you will. ;) Many thanks MJ!

Paul: How great to hear from you Paul! Very happy to hear you like the addition of this one and glad to add some more to your long list. :P Many thanks for tuning in!

Jay: That's awesome Jay! Let me know how it goes if you will, many thanks!

TGNess B)

trix606

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks Vanessa for posting this one. Guy Clark is one of the best. Luckily I got to see him a few years ago in a Song Toss concert with Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt and Joe Ely. Guy was the ultimate story teller. There were a lot of laughs and good tunes that night.

I strongly urge everyone to check out his catalog. The Cape is one of my favorites too as well as Stuff That Works.

wrsomers

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am

I intrix606 wrote:
[quote]Thanks Vanessa for posting this one. Guy Clark is one of the best. Luckily I got to see him a few years ago in a Song Toss concert with Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt and Joe Ely. Guy was the ultimate story teller. There were a lot of laughs and good tunes that night.

I strongly urge everyone to check out his catalog. The Cape is one of my favorites too as well as Stuff That Works.[/quote

Hi Trix,
You and I are in the same page. I'm working on both of those GC songs. Also the knife song (sorry The full name escapes me)
Hi
Bill

wrsomers

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:41 am

Randall Knife. Love, love it. A lot like all the "Hat" songs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic