>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - I Can’t Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt.

I Can’t Make You Love Me is a beautiful, heartbreaking ballad written by Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin, and recorded by American
singer-songwriter Bonnie Raitt for her eleventh 1991 studio album ‘Luck Of The Draw’. It became one of her most successful singles.

The original recording was primarily done with Bruce Hornsby on the piano and this lesson shows a relatively easy way of playing it
on the guitar.

The arrangement is done in the key of G, where the guitar is capoed on the third fret and uses mainly five basic open chords.

One could easily fingerpick the song or strum it as can be heard in parts of George Michael’s version. A few ideas of both ways are
presented.

We also take a thorough look at several ways of playing and fingering the chords. Deciding which one to use is often determined by
context, as in which chord you are coming from and to which you are going.

No matter how you play the song, the most important aspect to pay attention to is to play it with feeling. For that, what one does
with the right hand, either fingerpicking or strumming, is crucial.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sbutler

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Well Vanessa, Ive all but quit playing lately. This lesson has got me excited again. Not that I'll ever sing it, but working on some kind of chord solo may get me going again.

I enjoyed a lot of the lessons that you've done, but this one is without a doubt, my all time favorite.

Good Job Buddy.

Scott

michelew

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:44 pm

TGNess,

OMG ... what a gorgeous and sensitive treatment of this beautiful and heartbreaking song. Gosh you choose wonderful songs to teach. You sound amazing in your playthrough, ... really wonderful; yet again you've masterfully stirred my heartstrings.

I'm at work so I haven't watched segments other than your preview and the playthrough (which I can never resist going to immediately - they're always so good).

I know of another diehard fan of yours who's going to be over the moon that this lesson is out.

Thanks for teaching us another gorgeous adaptation of a song that's well known for being played on the piano.

Hugs

Shel

:kiss: :kiss:

Love seeing you wearing that shirt. You know you've 'made it' when a rock-star wears you band's t-shirt. :kiss:

familyman4

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Very nice and a great song choice Ness. I love Bonnie....

I logged in using my phone and I love it. Can't wait to get to my computer and watch!!!! Your play through is awesome. Again, can't wait to get to some real speakers.

Keep up the good work.
Bart

davidrfinn99165

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 am

Great song, great lesson thx Ness !

..i must get one of those t-shirts!! :)

/ david

sandysue

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am

Wow, beautiful song and a great lesson , thank you Vanessa.

Sandy

TGNesh

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 am

Scott: Hey Scott, so good to hear from you and how great that this lesson has got you excited again. I would almost regret not working out a further chord solo for it, just to get you even more excited! Many thanks buddy. xo

Michele: :blush: Yet again you make me smile big and blush a little...! :cheer: :laugh: And yes, the shirt was no coincident! ;) I've been dabbling back and forth quite a bit about how to approach the song/lesson. Strumming, picking, strumming, picking. First picking, then strumming is what i like best, but I broke my thumbnail, so....that didn't work... :S Eventually I taught a little bit of both....well i hope it'll do. Thanks my sweet friend, big hug right back at ya!

Bart: Hey my friend, so glad you like this one! I've always loved the song, just so gorgeous and intense. Apparently Bonnie recorded the vocals in one take, not being able to do it again, since it felt so emotional. She tried a few more times, but decided it wasn't going to work, so they went for the first take. Anyway, i hope it also sounded good once you've gotten to real speakers!! :ohmy: :laugh:

David: Many thanks David! Yes, you definitely should get one of those t-shirts, TZZ rocks!! :cheer:

Sandy: Thank you very much Sandy...actually I would be very curious how you would play and sing this song, I think it would be great for you. :) What do you think?

TGNess B)

dennisg

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:47 pm

A great lesson of a fantastic song! I can't wait to dig into this one and put it in my open-mic rotation.

TGNesh

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:51 am

I so hope you'll like it Dennis! Many thanks for dropping in and please let me know once you've performed it at an open mic!

Ness

dennisg wrote:
A great lesson of a fantastic song! I can't wait to dig into this one and put it in my open-mic rotation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic