>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Bedshaped - Keane

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Bedshaped by Keane.

Bedshaped is a haunting piano-ballad taken from the very successful debut album ‘Hopes And Fears’ by British band Keane.

It features a beautiful, melodic piano intro, and this lesson shows how to copy it on the guitar. It also shows how to incorporate a few other parts of the song, as performed by Keane’s piano player, Tim Rice-Oxley.

The arrangement is done in the key of D, using Dropped D-Tuning, where the guitar is capoed on the 2nd fret to match the absolute key of E.

The song is definitely not for beginners and anyone trying to tackle it should be able to comfortably fingerpick in general.

Enjoy this level 6 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

familyman4

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello Vanessa,

I will start by saying what a wonderful job you have done, taking this beautiful piano melody and arranging it for guitar!

Second, as I often do, after I listened to the teaser preview, I went to the play through to give it a listen. You sing and play this very, very well. Absolutely something to aspire to, beautiful! I will also say that the play through sounded like you added a little bit of chorus, maybe a touch of reverb to the recording??? Very full sounding and very pretty.

So, I really like the sound, I just don't get the song. I have read the words, I have listened to their version and your version, still don't get the meaning? I will spend a little quite time reading through it again and see if I can make more sense of the meaning.

Anyway, great job with the lesson! You are spectacular!
Bart

crieniecat

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Yes.... this one... of course you knew, I knew... B)
Another fantastic song from Keane and like I've said before, together with " Somewhere only we know", my two favorites of this group.

Ness it was worth the wait, WOW, the feel, the subtle changes, the vulnerability.... WOW doesn't do you any justice...
And all the superlatives have been used one time or the other, so.... I'll keep it with WOW...and I know you get what I meant to say with that ;)

Looking forward to seeying you on Saturday, I'll have the snacks, the wine and the smiles, you make sure to bring that guitar girl! B)

Love and hugs,
Corina

dtaylor

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Wow Vanessa, this is an amazing piece of work, a fantastic interpretation/arrangement. You attention to detail is so admirable and makes all the difference for students learning these pieces.

I've always loved this song and look forward to learning it at long last. You make the impossible attainable. Thank you.

spinland

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Oh, wow. Some day I shall attempt this. O, yes, I shall.

Beautiful, and your rendition is stunning, Ness.

michelew

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Oh ... my ... God ... .... I'm all choked up ... and speechless. You are constantly raising the bar .... not only have you done justice to this gorgeous prominent piano-song, not only have you captured the key melody, not only is it captivating.. but I just can't imagine ANYONE doing a better job of touching us in the way your playthrough does with a single guitar and your gorgeous voice. Incredible. ... your performance is SO nuanced. The lyrics may be a bit cryptic, but your expression (all forms) tells a stronger story than words ever could.

You've shown us all what's possible.

Absolutely blown away ....

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

wrsomers

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 am

Oh My! Such beautiful work. I've only listened to the play through and intend to try this one, but must say at this point you've knocked it out of the park again! Haunting is definitely a good word for this song.

I too am struggling with the meaning of the lyrics but it seems to me the verses are a reminiscence for someone the writer has lost both physically and spiritually and the chorus deals with life ("sun in your eyes"), death ("on your own, bed shaped and legs of stone"), and questions about the after life ("in white light, I don't think so")........"but what do I know?" :)

Bill

TGNesh

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:44 am

Wow..... :blush: I couldn't have hoped for a better or a more generous response!!!!

You guys and girls sure made my day!!! :cheer: In thruth I could use it too.

I'll be back. B)

TGNess

Btw Tim Rice-Oxley has stated this about the lyrics of the song:

"The song is about feeling that you've been "left behind" by an old friend or lover, and about hoping that you'll be reunited one day so that you can live out the end of your lives together the way you started them (...) a hope that they'll eventually want to get away from the bright lights and come back home. It's a sad and angry song, but also full of hope.

I think I'm right in saying that in hospital when someone is ill and has to spend a lot of time in bed they can become 'bedshaped'. It sounds a bit depressing (...) but in the context of the song I wanted to suggest old age and frailty(...)."

spinland

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks for that extra insight, Ness!

It's a fascinating (and, as said above, haunting) song. I'm especially intrigued by the animated video for it, for reasons that may be obvious. :side:

This band is now on my must-listen list and will be on my studio background music playlist very soon.

M

crieniecat

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am

It's "funny" how we all can interpret a song in our own different way eh...

For me, if I combine the song text with the animated video, the song becomes a story of two people related to each other, been through a lot in life. One is depressed and indeed bedshaped by being not able to face the scary and demanding world out there, fully eating oneself from the inside out with thoughts that are so dark, they heaven't seen daylight for a long long time.... (therefor the barely alive and hiding from other people person in the video)

The other person talks about hope, that one day the other will come back again with the sun in ones eyes, yes maybe bedshaped and with legs of stone, yet then positive and able to face the world together, united in white light (positive mood and thoughts) And as those words of hope have been said out loud, suddenly feels that the person suffering with depression "laughs" about the idea of being hopeful ever again, (as often is the case when dealing with depression) and then looks away, maybe even giving up on life....

....Yet, what do I know? I know...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic