Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Slip Slidin’ Away with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,

We have a new Target members exclusive lesson for today, Slip Slidin’ Away with Sandy.

Sandy has been working on getting comfortable using a pick and it has been a little frustrating for her.

Slip Slidin’ Away is a Paul Simon song that didn’t quite make the cut for his 1975 album Still Crazy After All
These Years, first appearing a couple years later on Greatest Hits.

It is a gentle strumming song in swing time and Sandy has capoed it to the 5th fret to fit her voice better.

We worked on the timing of a little vamp that bounces from a G to a C chord and the arrangement of verses
and choruses.

Like many Paul Simon songs, there are some variation in later verses and a short instrumental break, both of
which add to confusing the order of parts.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Sandy

Great song, thanks for sharing your FOTW

Dermot

sandysue

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

thank you Dermot for your visual image of just how quickly I'm moving along on my flat picking project. Guess I need to stop procrastinating for decades as Neil would say. :S

I do love that song Slip Slidin Away. Paul Simon has had so many great hits. I love his music, especially when he was with Art Garfunkel, they harmonized so well together :)

spinland

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:54 am

So very cool, thanks for creating this! S&G hold a very high place in my pantheon of musical gods, and Simon's writing is supernaturally good.

Gotta ask, didn't watch the whole lesson yet: what was that new pick you were liking? I just started flatpicking myself, and got some Dunlop Jazz IIIs that sound like they're similar to what you have in terms of size and the anti-slip grip.

I'm having a helluva time with mine twisting and turning all over the place so I'm open to any and all ideas that might help (adopting a death grip on the pesky thing is, of course, not the answer). :side:

Oh, and Happy Birthday to me, the 15th being my pop-outta-da-womb day. Great present! :silly:

Mark

sandysue

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:05 am

thank you Mark

Neil gave me that flat pick that I'm using right now. One of his students named Lisa ordered them for him. It doesn't have a brand name on it, only Neil's name and a picture of a guitar. I will ask Neil again to find out from Lisa where she purchased those picks so we know where to order them. The pick has a slightly raised grid of dots on both the from and back of the pick, covering approx. 3/4's of the pick with just the tip end smooth. It stays right in position without twisting or slipping and you don't have to grip hard at all. It's a great learning tool. I'll ask Neil to let us all know the information on how to order those picks. :)

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Sandy Wrote:
Thank you Dermot for your visual image of just how quickly I'm moving along on my flat picking project
Sandy, I actually thought your flat picking to be quite good !

The wee snail fellow, well he is ..... just slip sliding away...... to the music you are playing.

Dermot

sandysue

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you Dermot. I love the images you post for all of us. love your snail. Thank you for watching our FOTW. :)

michelew

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 am

Hi Sandy and Neil!

It was great seeing you both working this song.

Neil we've definitely missed you around here. I hear you've been sick recently. I hope you're starting to feel better.

Sandy I really enjoyed listening to you play this song. It's not one I've ever thought of working on, but it's very cool. I really enjoyed your singing too. S&G really suits you and your hard work is shining through. Seeing this also reminds me that I've gotten distracted from something else that you inspired me to learn.

Thanks for sharing. I miss you both.

Shel

sandysue

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Thank you Michele

I'm glad you liked our Slip Slidin Away lesson. I do love a lot of the Simon and Garfunkel songs.

Yes Michele I think you should keep working on Adele's version of "Make You Feel My Love" too. That's a really good one for you. :)

sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic