>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Come Away With Me - Norah Jones

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Come Away With Me by Norah Jones.

Norah Jones is an American singer-songwriter and actress. She launched her solo music career with the release
of her 2002 debut album ‘Come Away With Me’.

It’s a mellow, acoustic pop album with soul, country, blues, folk and jazz influences. It became highly successful
and won eight Grammy Awards in 2003, including Album of the Year, as well as Record of the Year.

In this lesson we take a look at the title track of the album. While often performing it on the piano, she occasionally
plays it on the guitar as well. Interestingly enough, she has done so both in 3/4 time, as recorded on the original,
but also in 4/4 time.

The song is in the key of C, with only five open chords in first position. Both versions require some palm muting and
picking out individual strings by the right hand. The 4/4 version includes a few hammer-ons as well.

Enjoy this level 3 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

wrsomers

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Ness!!!!!! I looovvvvve Norah Jones!!!! You did such a great rendition of this song!!! I will probably never attempt to learn this song, but Oh!!! how sweet was your rendition!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Thanks for doing this song. I'll listen to it many times

Bill

michelew

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 pm

TGNess,

What a wonderful choice of song for a lesson. You've certainly grabbed my attention.

I don't think I can match Bill's exuberance, but I certainly agree with his points. You've delivered another beeeeautiful playthrough. You must be getting sick of me saying that by now. It's mellow, laid back, dreamy and at the same time sweet, touching, sensitive, with the right amount of longing.... it's so many wonderful things. Your playing is the perfect understated accomplishment to your heartfelt vocals. Just gorgeous.

I would have added exclamation marks, but I think Bill used them all. :silly:

I Love! (Ow found one :) ) that you're teaching this in both 3/4 and 4/4. I hadn't heard the 4/4 version before; very nice and interesting. Though for me it's 3/4 for now at least. I'm just a sucker for 3/4.

The muting and picked out notes make this interesting, even though you're keeping it straightforward; very nice.

Another gorgeous one. Thanks teach. I love your work; just in case you didn't realise. :)

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

dtaylor

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:16 am

Ness I am loving your song choices, this is right up my alley, everything you are coming out with makes me want to play, so thank you.

michelew

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:41 am

Ness,

I'm just returning to say that I'm really enjoying learning and playing this gorgeous song. I like that it's pretty straightforward but really lovely. I also wouldn't have considered it if you hadn't posted it.

Thanks sweetie.

Shel

:kiss:

TGNesh

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:24 am

You couldn't have made me smile any bigger, it absolutely made my day!!! :cheer: :woohoo:

I would also definitely agree on Norah Jones, she's just súch a gorgeous pearl in the music industry, so very talented. And hey, pretty nice to look at as well. ;)

I had such a hard time recording the play through, since I was having the flu :X (I'm still not recovered :S ) and to be honest, I also didn't feel I could do her vocals much justice. I didn't think it would work out, but I guess eventually it did, at least enough. Needless to say, I'm so glad that you like my rendition of it!!!!!

I'd say, learn the song anyway, it'd be nice to play together at IGC. Those long after open mic jams need songs, right?! ;)

Many, many thanks Bill!

wrsomers wrote:
Ness!!!!!! I looovvvvve Norah Jones!!!! You did such a great rendition of this song!!! I will probably never attempt to learn this song, but Oh!!! how sweet was your rendition!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Thanks for doing this song. I'll listen to it many times

Bill

TGNesh

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 am

Shel, I'm always amazed how well you manage to put your feedback about the song or my play through/lesson into written words.

It's mellow, laid back, dreamy and at the same time sweet, touching, sensitive, with the right amount of longing

I would say the song is indeed exactly all that. You saying that you hear that in my playing/singing is just ........well I neeeeeeeeeeever eeeeeeever get sick of you saying that you enjoyed my playthrough!!!! :woohoo: :cheer: ;) B) :laugh: :kiss: I do realize that you love what I do, how could i not?! You're my biggest fan! ;) :)

You're right, the song is quite straightforward, very accessible to most guitar players. And this is really how shé just does it on guitar. Include the little riff, or the hammer ons and it already sounds quite cool. I like both versions actually. 3/4 certainly has its charm and 4/4 is just a bit extra nice to play. Looking at your second comment, you have actually already tried it out, that's just very cool!

So did you know Norah Jones?

Thanks so much sweet friend! xo

michelew wrote:
TGNess,

What a wonderful choice of song for a lesson. You've certainly grabbed my attention.

I don't think I can match Bill's exuberance, but I certainly agree with his points. You've delivered another beeeeautiful playthrough. You must be getting sick of me saying that by now. It's mellow, laid back, dreamy and at the same time sweet, touching, sensitive, with the right amount of longing.... it's so many wonderful things. Your playing is the perfect understated accomplishment to your heartfelt vocals. Just gorgeous.

I would have added exclamation marks, but I think Bill used them all. :silly:

I Love! (Ow found one :) ) that you're teaching this in both 3/4 and 4/4. I hadn't heard the 4/4 version before; very nice and interesting. Though for me it's 3/4 for now at least. I'm just a sucker for 3/4.

The muting and picked out notes make this interesting, even though you're keeping it straightforward; very nice.

Another gorgeous one. Thanks teach. I love your work; just in case you didn't realise. :)

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

TGNesh

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 am

That's just so awesome to hear! I love to add to your desire to play. To me, that's already a great compliment all by itself.

Many thanks for tuning in again Dean!

Ness

dtaylor wrote:
Ness I am loving your song choices, this is right up my alley, everything you are coming out with makes me want to play, so thank you.

spinland

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:47 am

Wow, I'm late to this party! How did I overlook this post?

Now for a real WOW. Ness, that is gorgeous! Plus, her voice matches keys that maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to sing some day. :silly:

Mark

wrsomers

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:18 am

TGVanessa wrote:
You couldn't have made me smile any bigger, it absolutely made my day!!! :cheer: :woohoo:

I would also definitely agree on Norah Jones, she's just súch a gorgeous pearl in the music industry, so very talented. And hey, pretty nice to look at as well. ;)

I had such a hard time recording the play through, since I was having the flu :X (I'm still not recovered :S ) and to be honest, I also didn't feel I could do her vocals much justice. I didn't think it would work out, but I guess eventually it did, at least enough. Needless to say, I'm so glad that you like my rendition of it!!!!!

I'd say, learn the song anyway, it'd be nice to play together at IGC. Those long after open mic jams need songs, right?! ;)

Many, many thanks Bill!
You're welcome Ness. I'm glad you're smiling :) Yes, not only is Nora a fabulous musician, she's very easy on the eyes ;)

Now there's a good reason to learn this song...IGC duet :kiss:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic