Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - My Sweet Lady with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

We have a new Target members exclusive lesson for today, My Sweet Lady with Sandy.

In this lesson Sandy wanted to work on My Sweet Lady by John Denver but John’s key (D Major) was not Sandy’s
key. The song uses a string of chord shapes played on the top three strings, with a droning, open D in the bass.

This makes it a little problematic to transpose and keep the same character. We look at solutions to the problem
and I get torn between giving her the answer or taking the opportunity to put her through a short but grueling
learning experience. You might guess which approach I took.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

willem

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:35 am

You gonna transpose to A? I think there some easy chords on the top three strings ( just a three string barre, with the open bas A string).

Sad sad song,

Willem.

sandysue

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:34 am

willem wrote:
You gonna transpose to A? I think there some easy chords on the top three strings ( just a three string barre, with the open bas A string).

Sad sad song,

Willem.
yes Willem, in the key of A we are using a partial barre on some of the chords. Neil has given me the tabs to the intro and verses and I think we are going to work on creating the tabs for the chorus on my next lesson. I'm sure he will post those tabs for everyone in case someone else wants to play it in the key of A.

You're right Willem it is a kind of melancholy yet really beautiful song. I think that is one of John Denver's best songs. It would be fun to be able to play and sing along with him. There is an app called Transcribe that you can use to drag and drop any song and change the key of that song to match the key you want to play it in. You can also play it at different speeds. I use that app a lot to learn how to sing certain songs. :)

familyman4

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:22 am

I watched both segments of your FOTW lesson for this song and Neil, I am glad you decided 10 minutes of torture was long enough. I was trying to help give the answers but you just couldn't hear me Good job Sandy! You will have a wonderful version of this song to play once you have all of this transposing completed

Looking forward to hearing your final version, either on line or live and in person at IGC2017!

Bart
B)

sandysue

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:59 pm

familyman4 wrote:
I watched both segments of your FOTW lesson for this song and Neil, I am glad you decided 10 minutes of torture was long enough. I was trying to help give the answers but you just couldn't hear me Good job Sandy! You will have a wonderful version of this song to play once you have all of this transposing completed

Looking forward to hearing your final version, either on line or live and in person at IGC2017!

Bart
B)

Thanks for trying to help Bart. Wish I could have heard you giving me the answers. I'm obviously not very good when I'm on the hot seat. I have to have time to think. Just need to learn the chorus now and I'll have it. I'm excited to learn this song. :)

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic