>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - You’re Still The One - Shania Twain

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
wrsomers

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:23 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Hey guys and Shel, so nice to read such enthusiasm for Shania Twain!! I think she's absolutely awesome, will have a few more in the pipeline. :)

I would absolutely encourage anyone to not pay too much attention to where someone's fingers are. Throw in a capo and things get rather confusing. And since I love to sing, i throw the capo around pretty much all the time, including when recording lessons. For that, I quickly glance at the top of the neck and double check where in particular the 5th and 7th frets are. (the guitar player in your 2nd post should've done that too.) Or sometimes, when there is a jump up the neck in a particular song, I double check that particular fret as well.

I also, when neccessary, and this is rather important, keep in mind what I'm actually playing and for that where I need to be, no matter where I'm capoed and no matter where the markers are. The more you do such things, the better you'll get at it too. And occasionally, I just totally miss the fret I'm going for! :S :laugh: Usually because I forget to look where to go on the neck, or I forgot to double check.

All this applies to whenever watching someone play/teach as well. I often watch artists with or without markers, capoed all over the place. I do the same with them, I double check the 5th and 7th fret, I keep in mind which chords they're playing and how the progression goes. From there I can figure out quickly where they are without actually counting frets, since theory simply tells me. I of course listen too. ;) I believe that learning visually, for an instrument in particular, is quite limited and often serves you for that particular moment/song, not in the long run.

TGNess B)
Thanks for the reply Ness. I agree with what you say about not being too visual while playing. However I was specifically referring to learning a new song by watching the teacher. One needs to know instantly where the teacher is on the neck rather than having to stop and count frets. Here's a perfect example...In Max's new lesson on "Scar Tissue"..I instantly knew that he was playing an F chord in the A position barred at the 8th fret (or a variation thereof), and for the chorus as well, I knew immediately that he was playing an F chord in the C position barred at the 5th fret. All because I could see it without counting.

My point is a teacher should make it as easy as possible for the student to see what he/she is doing.

Again ...I agree that one should not be overly visual while playing, but while learning, visual knowledge, in my opinion is essential.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Hugs,
Bill :)

wrsomers

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 am

Getting back to the lesson...

Ness,
I've watched the whole lesson several times now and really love what you've done with it. Thanks for taking the time to go into great detail about the intro. It makes the song so very interesting and complete.

Your play through is lovely!

Thanks again for your lessons. It is so nice for a solo performer, like myself, to be able to learn a complete performance.

All the best xoxo

Bill

TGNesh

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 am

Well needless to say that I'm very happy for that!! :cheer:

My goal is exactly that, since I've played and still play a lot as a solo performer. In general the challenge for lessons, for me, is how to arrange songs in order to do them justice when it's just me and my guitar (obviously one is easier than the other). So i'm certainly very pleased when other solo performers find value in it and feel that it has worked out. It sure is a motivational boost.

I would absolutely agree that by just adding the intro, it makes the song complete. It turned out to be rather simple too. :)

Many thanks for dropping in here again and for your compliments on the play through and the lesson!

Big hug,

Ness

wrsomers wrote:
Getting back to the lesson...

Ness,
I've watched the whole lesson several times now and really love what you've done with it. Thanks for taking the time to go into great detail about the intro. It makes the song so very interesting and complete.

Your play through is lovely!

Thanks again for your lessons. It is so nice for a solo performer, like myself, to be able to learn a complete performance.

All the best xoxo

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic