>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - You’re Still The One - Shania Twain

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, You’re Still The One by Shania Twain.

Shania Twain is a multi Grammy Award winning Canadian singer-songwriter and the best-selling female
artist in the history of country music.

You’re Still The One, released in 1998, is taken from her immensely successful third studio album ‘Come
On Over’.

It features a relatively easy progression, using only four chords in the key of D, where the guitar is capoed
on the first fret.

We take a look at a few ways to finger the chords and the double time strumming, including how to find
the main feel for the latter.

The lesson also shows how to copy the synthesizer fill in the intro, which is relatively easy to incorporate.
It does require the ability to pick out individual strings.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

wrsomers

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Ness,
Now....THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!

Great lesson, great song. This is probably my favorite Shania Twain song. You did it justice to say the least.

I've complimented you many times about your lessons and teaching style, but I just want to say that your attention to detail especially where to fret the strings being played is very refreshing. In sharp contrast to another teacher we all know who uses a guitar without fret markers!!!

In my opinion that is not a very helpful and student friendly way to teach. I just tried to learn "Sweet Caroline" and gave up because the lesson was too fast, and trying to sit there and count frets is no fun!!! Are you listening big guy?

Anyway, Ness, thanks so much for your super, easy to follow lessons. Keep them coming.

Bill

familyman4

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Very nice Vanessa! I have always lived this song (and Shania)

This one will go on to my father/daughter "to do" list for when she comes home to visit in September!!!

Thank you for all the details!
Bart

P.S. You sing this song very well, Loved your play through!

guitardude7

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for another great lesson, Vanessa!

Thanks for adding the into too!

Steve

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Vanessa

Great play through.

Shania Twain's a done some scary :dry: songs !

:woohoo:

Dermot

TGNeil

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 am

wrsomers wrote:
...In sharp contrast to another teacher we all know who uses a guitar without fret markers!!!

In my opinion that is not a very helpful and student friendly way to teach. I just tried to learn "Sweet Caroline" and gave up because the lesson was too fast, and trying to sit there and count frets is no fun!!! Are you listening big guy?...

Bill
Hey Bill,

I am sorry you could not follow the Sweet Caroline lesson but I thought I always paid great attention to telling you what fret I am on. I am not sure where you would have to 'count frets' to have a clue. In any case, I am glad you are getting good info from Vanessa as we love having her on board.

Neil

wrsomers

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 am

TGNeil wrote:
wrsomers wrote:
...In sharp contrast to another teacher we all know who uses a guitar without fret markers!!!

In my opinion that is not a very helpful and student friendly way to teach. I just tried to learn "Sweet Caroline" and gave up because the lesson was too fast, and trying to sit there and count frets is no fun!!! Are you listening big guy?...

Bill
Hey Bill,

I am sorry you could not follow the Sweet Caroline lesson but I thought I always paid great attention to telling you what fret I am on. I am not sure where you would have to 'count frets' to have a clue. In any case, I am glad you are getting good info from Vanessa as we love having her

Neil
Hmm, would still appreciate a teacher's guitar with fret markers. Anything to make learning this difficult instrument easier helps.

michelew

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 am

TGNessa,

This is a great love song. Your playthrough is wonderful (as always) and has absolutely inspired me to learn it; which I'll start doing as soon as I've got time to scratch myself.

Another great choice by a woman artist too.

Thanks for putting this on my radar.

I LOVE your work.

:kiss:

Shel

spinland

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am

Wow. Hauntingly beautiful, both the song itself and this rendition.

Blown away, Ness, as always. Bravura! :woohoo:

Mark

TGNesh

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Hey guys and Shel, so nice to read such enthusiasm for Shania Twain!! I think she's absolutely awesome, will have a few more in the pipeline. :)

Bill: Yes, you've done that many times and I never ever get tired of it!!! :cheer: B) Seriously, I truly appreciate it and I'm glad that me being thorough is appreciated too.

Sorry to hear the lesson of 'Sweet Caroline' gave you a so called head ache. I would love to cure it for you, but in thruth (probably not what you want to hear, sorry about that), I would absolutely encourage anyone to not pay too much attention to where someone's fingers are. Throw in a capo and things get rather confusing. And since I love to sing, i throw the capo around pretty much all the time, including when recording lessons. For that, I quickly glance at the top of the neck and double check where in particular the 5th and 7th frets are. (the guitar player in your 2nd post should've done that too.) Or sometimes, when there is a jump up the neck in a particular song, I double check that particular fret as well.

I also, when neccessary, and this is rather important, keep in mind what I'm actually playing and for that where I need to be, no matter where I'm capoed and no matter where the markers are. The more you do such things, the better you'll get at it too. And occasionally, I just totally miss the fret I'm going for! :S :laugh: Usually because I forget to look where to go on the neck, or I forgot to double check.

All this applies to whenever watching someone play/teach as well. I often watch artists with or without markers, capoed all over the place. I do the same with them, I double check the 5th and 7th fret, I keep in mind which chords they're playing and how the progression goes. From there I can figure out quickly where they are without actually counting frets, since theory simply tells me. I of course listen too. ;) I believe that learning visually, for an instrument in particular, is quite limited and often serves you for that particular moment/song, not in the long run.

All in all, I hope you'll get back at it, because I think you would do an absolute killer version of it! :)

Many thanks for the generous compliments Bill!

Bart: Awesome, another one of my songlessons on your father/daughter list!! :cheer: Thanks so much for the compliments, as you know I always love to hear them from you. Can't wait to give you a real hug pretty soon too!!

Steve: You're so welcome Steve and I'm very pleased you like it, thank you very much!

Dermot: Many thanks Dermot! :) Scary songs?? Which ones? :dry:

Shel: Gosh...no time to even scratch yourself.. :S Then I appreciate it even more for you checking this out :kiss: . Yes, we definitely need more female artists!! I can't believe it took me so long to get to her. Did you know that her album, Come on Over, is the best selling album by a female artist of all times??!! :ohmy: In any way, I'm not done yet. I sure hope you'll get to play this one. It's such a lovely, gorgeous and romantic song :) . Thanks so much sweet friend. xo

Mark: Hey the very much missed Mark dropped in :cheer: and what a kind comment you leave me there too, loved to read it and appreciate it for sure! Thank you very much Mark!

Thanks again all!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic