>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Kids In America - Kim Wilde

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Kids In America by Kim Wilde.

Kim Wilde is a British pop singer, who gained major popularity throughout the 80’s.

She burst onto the music scene in 1981 with her debut single Kids In America, written by her
father and brother, Marty and Ricky Wilde.

This lesson is mostly based on an acoustic version, with brother Ricky and Nik Kershaw
performing the song on guitar.

The arrangement consists of major chords only. Ricky Wilde uses barre chords from the E family,
while leaving the two top strings open, and also a few basic open chords.

We take a look at the fast double time strumming, which changes to the speed of 8th’s back and
forth, and a little bit of palm muting.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

davidrfinn99165

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 am

Many thx Ness... gotta love this song.

Kim Wilde lives very close to here and is playing a local village festival at the end of August. It is probably not up to the level of Bill's tomato fest from 2016 but it is still a pretty big thing round these parts...

thx again !!

TGNesh

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:03 pm

I would agree David, just gotta love this song! :cheer:

Actually it was my sister and her best friend, in early highschool years, who were her biggest fans. I would hear Kim's music coming out of her room réally loudly áll the time, so I was forced to get to know lots of her songs. :blink: :laugh: And I couldn't help to come to like several of those too. My personal favorite was/is Cambodia. Brilliant story telling song in my opinion, incredibly sad, gorgeous melody and a very cool bass-rhythm throughout the arrangement.

Later, my sister's best friend was getting married and both my sister and I performed KIA on her wedding. I will never forget the look on her face when she heard the intro on guitar and (thankfully) immediately realized it was Kids In America. Memories, memories.... :)

I think it's awesome that Kim W. still performs! I know she also has a very succesful alternative career as a landscape gardener. Very nice that she performs so nearby too. Can't remember whenever she was her in Holland though. Oh well....you get the picture, youth sentiments all around. :laugh:

Many thanks David!

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Many thx Ness... gotta love this song.

Kim Wilde lives very close to here and is playing a local village festival at the end of August. It is probably not up to the level of Bill's tomato fest from 2016 but it is still a pretty big thing round these parts...

thx again !!

guitardude7

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:16 pm

I can't say I was ever into Kim Wilde back in the day. I was into hard rock back then. But being older and playing guitar has led me into listening to all kinds of music. Plus, this site introduces me to songs I wouldn't normally seek out to play. Here's another example. Haven't sat through the whole lesson yet, but played along some to the play through and brought the tune up on Apple Music and jammed along with it. A lot of fun. When I have time tomorrow I'm going to watch the other lesson parts and play it through a couple more times.

Thanks,

Keep Playin' B)

michelew

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 am

How cool is THAT!!! :) you've got me dancin' in the street. :) Absolutely ROCKIN'

I LOVE the way you've captured all the characteristic bits of this song. Hey! The driving downstrokes are extremely cool.

And the 80s hit again

You're a force to be reckoned with TGNess. Love it.

Shel

:kiss:

Question though - Why IS a British muso singing about being a kid in America? Anyone? David, Chris - any British insight there?

davidrfinn99165

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 am

michelew wrote:
How cool is THAT!!!

Question though - Why IS a British muso singing about being a kid in America? Anyone? David, Chris - any British insight there?
I was going to say presumably because "We're the kids in Tewin, Hertfordshire' doesn't scan.. but actually it does!

michelew

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
michelew wrote:
How cool is THAT!!!

I was going to say presumably because "We're the kids in Tewin, Hertfordshire' doesn't scan.. but actually it does!
What a lost opportunity! A simple refinement in intonation and it could have been an explosive hit. :woohoo:

We're the kids in Tewin, Hertfordshire. We're the kids in Tewin, Hertfordshire. We're the kids in Tewin, Hertfordshirrrrrrrrre.

So catchy. I'll be singing that all day. :) :p

heatndude

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:10 am

Now thats a awesome rendition of a 80's tune!

The only thing missing is the big hair

Get out the hair spray and rock! :lol:

TGNesh

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Steve: Hey Steve, that's awesome! I do know how that goes sometimes and how you can get into other music later in life too. Just great to hear she got your attention now ;) and that you've been enjoying to play Kids In America. I would absolutely agree, it's a much fun and cool song to play! Many thanks for tuning in Steve!

Michele: Yeah, another 80's hit, totally guilty of going for another one again, haha! :laugh: B) It's a rocking song for sure. Like I mentioned to Steve, just a really fun song to play. And obviously there are good memories in there too :) , as I mentioned to David.
I would have no clue why they would sing about Kids In America while they're British... :dry: I guess Nirvana was able to relate very well, since they covered it, as well as Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. Anyway, it was awesome, after being brainwashed as a kid by my sister :laugh: , to get to actually really playing it now. So glad you liked it too! Thanks dear Shel! xo (how is the earworm going?? Kids in 'what'???!! :blink: :laugh: :laugh: )

Mark: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You totally cracked me up!! Thank you very much Mark! :cheer: And uh....here you go:

Edit: And of course i couldn't upload a picture :angry: *&^%^$#....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic