>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Cambodia - Kim Wilde

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Cambodia by Kim Wilde.

Cambodia is the fourth and another international hit single by British pop singer Kim Wilde.
It was released at the end of 1981, a year in which she already scored three highly successful
hit singles and a best-selling debut album.

The original recording was mainly synth-driven, with oriental-sounding percussion and was
written by Kim’s father and brother Marty and Ricky Wilde.

The lyrics were inspired by the Operation Menu bombing campaign of Cambodia by the US
during the Vietnam War. It tells the tragic story about a wife of an American pilot, who ends
up being killed and never returns home.

The arrangement taught in this lesson is done in the key of Am and could be capoed
anywhere to fit ones vocal range.

The chords and the progression are relatively easy. The main challenge is to somewhat copy
the feel of the bass and to incorporate the main synthesizer riff featured in the intro.

There is also a segment included that shows the chords and progression as Ricky Wilde plays
it on an acoustic guitar in the key of Dm, using primarily barre chords.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

TGNesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 am

Kim about 'Cambodia'

'My father wrote the lyrics months ago. It was meant for inclusion on my second album. But we thought it was so good, that we released it as a single. It's about a wife of an American pilot, who ends up being killed in the Cambodian war. The lyric was originally written in the first person. But while I could really identify with the woman in question, I have changed it, so that I now sing it in third person. (2)

'Cambodia' is a mysterious love story, like Casablanca. Flying off into the night to never return. One wonders what happened to the guy. It's like that Gene Pitney song, '24 Hours From Tulsa' where you tend to think, who is that woman who stopped him going back to his wife, which isn't a particularly profound thing to think about but you can't help wondering. It's very haunting. (3)

It's a song that leaves you with various questions. A song which you don't know what it's about or what's happening in it. You get a certain idea, but you just don't know. And a song like that tries a lot to make the mystery bigger. That's Cambodia to me. It's open to all kinds of interpretations. Like most of our songs, really. That's why I don't like talking about it. It's irrelevant. (4)'

Marty Wilde about 'Cambodia'

'This is my favourite track on the whole album. One day, Ricky and I heard a track with two bass notes repeating one after the other and we both thought this would be a great introduction to a song. Ricky did a demo at RAK Studios and had added these kind of Oriental percussion sounds to it. It sounded to me as though it had to be something Oriental and I asked one of Kim's friends who was listening to the demo had anyone else ever written a song called 'Cambodia'. She said that there was a similar title recorded by the Dead Kennedys (Holiday in Cambodia - ed.) and at first I was a bit concerned because I wanted the song to be original and fresh.
However, I thought the subject matter so good and so strong that I went ahead anyway and although I didn't want to turn the song into a political essay, I tried in my own way to show what I believe that most people felt about South Vietnam and the terrible tragedies that occurred there. When we originally wrote the song I imagined an American pilot flying in a MacDonnell Phantom and getting shot down by a SAM air missile.'

michelew

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:04 pm

WOW.... what a heartbreaking song TGNess.

You make it sound so haunting. Just beautiful and very powerful.

The way you've incorporated the synthesiser melody is wonderful.

Very sad.

Shel

:kiss:

Ness - thanks too for giving us the back story for how the song came together; fascinating. I love hearing from songwriters about their songwriting process and their inspirations.

TGNesh

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey my dear friend, always love it that you drop into my lesson threads, regardless of whatever song it is. :) As I mentioned before, I take a wow or an omg anyday! ;) B)

Haunting is what I would absolutely call the song...I don't know what it is, but it has always grabbed me in a major way, by far my favorite by her. I think they tell the tragic story brilliantly and the music fits it só well. I'm not exaggerating when I say that i álways get goosebumps whenever i hear it, or whenever i play it. I can just 'feel' the song, the emotions that go with it, they just run so deep.

I of course have never thought of playing it on guitar and I just loved to get to it now. So, all in all, working for TG is a great outlet for me I have to say. I'm getting to so many really fantastic songs. It makes me look at songs differently and i really enjoy trying to find/work out arrangements.

Anyway, i thought you would appreciate a little songwriting-background, as the great songwriter you have become...! :)

Thank you very much Shel! xoxo

TGNess B)

michelew wrote:
WOW.... what a heartbreaking song TGNess.

You make it sound so haunting. Just beautiful and very powerful.

The way you've incorporated the synthesiser melody is wonderful.

Very sad.

Shel

Ness - thanks too for giving us the back story for how the song came together; fascinating. I love hearing from songwriters about their songwriting process and their inspirations.

wrsomers

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 am

Another winner by one of THE BEST guitar/vocal teachers on the internet. Thank you Ness, for the incredible effort you always put forth. As I said before and will continue to say, it is so great that your lessons give us the whole performance. It is so wonderful to have lessons that cover every note of the song!

I only wish I could see you in a few weeks to give you a big hug in person! :) I've asked Bob R. to bring you something for me. I hope you will enjoy it.

Also thank you for this particular song. It is a reminder to all, of the sacrifices and the suffering endured by people of my generation during and after that tragic conflict; and also a tribute to people of all generations who give/gave their lives (and their loved ones) so "we don't have to sacrifice, all the things we love". "May freedom forever fly, let it ring" (Zac Brown Band).

Bill
xoxo

TGNesh

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:41 am

:blush: You made my day (and more than that) again Bill! :kiss:

I absolutely strive to be the best teacher I can be and certainly put my all in those lessons...and it's álways so fulfilling to hear my efforts being acknowledged. It just makes it all so worthwhile. I've said thát several times as well, but it's really true.

I would've loved to see you again too Bill, a real hug is always nicer than a virtual one ;), really hope you can make it work another year.

SO kind of you to think of me and let Bob bring me something, I LOVE surprises, can't wait!! :cheer:

Also nice to hear you can appreciate this particular song, even if you don't know it. Too many lives have been taken and too much suffering as a result to that. I álways get goosebumps when singing this one, it's just so tragic.

Many many thanks Bill for brightening my day! xoxo

wrsomers wrote:
Another winner by one of THE BEST guitar/vocal teachers on the internet. Thank you Ness, for the incredible effort you always put forth. As I said before and will continue to say, it is so great that your lessons give us the whole performance. It is so wonderful to have lessons that cover every note of the song!

I only wish I could see you in a few weeks to give you a big hug in person! :) I've asked Bob R. to bring you something for me. I hope you will enjoy it.

Also thank you for this particular song. It is a reminder to all, of the sacrifices and the suffering endured by people of my generation during and after that tragic conflict; and also a tribute to people of all generations who give/gave their lives (and their loved ones) so "we don't have to sacrifice, all the things we love". "May freedom forever fly, let it ring" (Zac Brown Band).

Bill
xoxo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic