>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Starving - Hailee Steinfeld

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live, Starving by Hailee Steinfeld.

Starving is a song by American actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld and American duo Grey, featuring
Russian-German producer Zedd.

It features a simple progression in the key of E and uses mainly only four chords.

We take a thorough look at those chords, which start out as two finger shapes, then changes to three
finger shapes and eventually full barre chords.

The picking starts relatively easy as well, using two strings, then three strings and changes to full on
strumming in the chorus. Especially the latter has a heavy syncopated feel and one needs to have a
strong sense of rhythm in order to get the timing right, without losing the beats.

Other than that, the picking includes percussion by tapping the strings on beats 2 and 4, and even a
bit of swing feel plus an unexpected hammer on/pull off at the end of the song.

Enjoy this level 5 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Vanessa

Were you hungry, :dry: maybe skip your lunch or something, when you choose this song ?

You starved :S us of a play through !! :P

Hailee Steinfeld has a great voice, and he's cool guitarist too (like you) :ohmy:

Dermot

:laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 pm

TGNess,

WOW! What a fantastic choice for a lesson. There are so many cool aspects to this song and the version you’ve chosen to teach.

I’ve never heard this song before. I really need to stop confessing that as it’s beginning to reveal my ignorance (OK I’m probably way too late right ;) ); :) but, the song (or at least the groove) grabbed me straight away. And the acoustic version is SO much cooler than the album version. Well the one I have downloaded so far. Actually I’m not sure I can sing this with a straight face but the playing is cool. B) :P

BTW - am I imagining things or are you working double time? I could have sworn you’d just released a lesson.

Cool material Teach. Thanks for expanding my horizons as well as my skills.

Shel

TGNesh

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank you Dermot!

Yeah, you're right, I starved you of a play through. :S It would've taken a whole lot of extra work (the play through is always, by far, most of the work and I simply don't know the song at all) to sing a song that's not really a song for me to sing in the first place. Just doesn't fit me or something :dry: . But that obviously didn't keep me from teaching it. ;)

Thanks again Dermot!

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

Were you hungry, :dry: maybe skip your lunch or something, when you choose this song ?

You starved :S us of a play through !! :P

Hailee Steinfeld has a great voice, and he's cool guitarist too (like you) :ohmy:

Dermot

:laugh: :laugh:

TGNesh

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 am

:laugh: :laugh: I wouldn't be able to sing this with a straight face either, haha!

I'd say, you're absolutely right about the groove, sounds really cool. And don't worry, i didn't know the song or singer as well. :dry: Lately my teenage students have been coming up with some songs for that matter, this one and Lost Boy for example. That sure is a good thing, otherwise i get stuck in the 80th's and 90th's. B) There sure is a whole lot of variety on TG.

Yes, i did release two lessons this week, because of missing one last week. A ^%&$ flu messed it all up. :X :S I'm fine now though. :)

Thank you very much Shel, very happy that you like the addition of those new artists to Target!

TGNess B)

michelew wrote:
TGNess,

WOW! What a fantastic choice for a lesson. There are so many cool aspects to this song and the version you’ve chosen to teach.

I’ve never heard this song before. I really need to stop confessing that as it’s beginning to reveal my ignorance (OK I’m probably way too late right ;) ); :) but, the song (or at least the groove) grabbed me straight away. And the acoustic version is SO much cooler than the album version. Well the one I have downloaded so far. Actually I’m not sure I can sing this with a straight face but the playing is cool. B) :P

BTW - am I imagining things or are you working double time? I could have sworn you’d just released a lesson.

Cool material Teach. Thanks for expanding my horizons as well as my skills.

Shel

michelew

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I’m really glad to hear you’re feeling better Ness.

I started learning this on the weekend. I’m really enjoying it and it’s a good reason to work on a few real weaknesses of mine; A-shaped barre chords - mini-barres and just transitioning to barres generally. I always love tunes with syncopation and percussive right-hand stuff. It’s a very tasty offering indeed.

And as always, I love how you break this down, including giving us the most efficient ways to move between chord shapes.

I’m trying to be patient and not speed through it all. I’ve just watched the first few segments and I’m working on those. I’ll leave the cool strumming until I’ve got the others down.

Thanks again.

Shel

TGNesh

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm

That's awesome Shel! I know you're crazy busy these days, so i'm really glad you found some time to start working on this song. I'm aware of your love for 'percussive right-hand stuff' and syncopation. ;) I would agree though, it always sounds really cool.

And yes, 'just a little patience, yeeeeah...' (G&R) :P

michelew wrote:
I’m really glad to hear you’re feeling better Ness.

I started learning this on the weekend. I’m really enjoying it and it’s a good reason to work on a few real weaknesses of mine; A-shaped barre chords - mini-barres and just transitioning to barres generally. I always love tunes with syncopation and percussive right-hand stuff. It’s a very tasty offering indeed.

And as always, I love how you break this down, including giving us the most efficient ways to move between chord shapes.

I’m trying to be patient and not speed through it all. I’ve just watched the first few segments and I’m working on those. I’ll leave the cool strumming until I’ve got the others down.

Thanks again.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic