>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Breathe - Anna Nalick

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release has just been released, Breathe by Anna Nalick.

Breathe is a beautiful song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Anna Nalick.

It appears on her 2005 debut album ‘Wreck Of The Day’ and was featured prominently in episodes of shows
like ABC’s ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ as well as several other shows and movies.

This lesson covers the chords in the key of A, the strumming in 6/8, and the progression. It particularly takes
a look at the little sus2, sus4, hammer-on, pull-off embellishments, based on how Anna’s guitar player performs
it in acoustic settings.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Very nice Ness! Never heard the song or the singer before but it sounds good and do it so well.... as always :)

familyman4

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Vanessa,

Glad to see you picked this song off of the "recommended lesson" section of TG. Great choice!

A quick glance at her versions and your play thru tells me several things:
A) The song title is very appropriate (Breathe) because if a person wants to sing this song, he/she better have lungs full of air before starting and pick the correct spots for a quick breath along the way.
B ) This song will not be hard to play as far as the chords and chord progression goes. Even the embellishments should flow very well. The real trick again will be the dynamics of the playing to give the appropriate "feel" of the song and to do justice to the story line.
C) Another fine song to add to my "father/daughter" song list.

Thanks again for all you do!

Bart

Edit / Addition: Yep, it's a keeper!

heatndude

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am

Great Lesson something I can play fast!

Did I miss something? IS that a new Taylor Guitar?

familyman4

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Yes BTW, I also noticed the Taylor guitar but then forgot to ask you about it in my original comment. I seem to remember that you have a nylon string Taylor guitar but didn't remember you having a dread knot Taylor with a cut away???

Is this a new to you guitar? Looks like Indian Rosewood back and sides and a Sitka spruce top, and with the inlays on the neck, and the maple binding, I am guessing it's an 810CE?

(I also noticed that you used a different guitar during "The Chords" section of your lesson pages).

Are you trying to see if we are paying attention? B)

TGNesh

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:10 am

I take it you never watched Grey's Anatomy?? :laugh: :laugh:

I hadn't heard of her either, but the song did ring a bell. In my case it was due to the series. :)

So yeah, i think it's a beautiful song. Any chance that Ms Ale will give it a shot?

Many thanks for the compliments Chris!

Ness

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Very nice Ness! Never heard the song or the singer before but it sounds good and do it so well.... as always :)

TGNesh

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 am

Yep, you should be good to go Mark! :laugh: :laugh:

And nope, you didn't miss anything. In fact, you're right on it. It ís a 'new' Taylor. :) :)

A friend of Corina's works at Taylor Guitars here in Amsterdam. They were having a 'for family and friends sale' last Friday (two days ago). He ......well managed to get me over there, even after i had already said not having the finances for it. :S

I of course bought my Goodall last summer. Pretty allround guitar i'd say, yet it does the very best job fingerpicking. So i was somewhat thinking of another one which would do the very best strumming/flatpicking. A dread nought.

Anyway, eventually I left with this guitar after all..... #seriouslybrokenow :blink:

So what do you think Mark?

heatndude wrote:
Great Lesson something I can play fast!

Did I miss something? IS that a new Taylor Guitar?

TGNesh

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:03 am

Your very last line of your 2nd reply just totally cracked me up!! :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, i'm impressed that you indeed noticed. I know that i pay attention to detail, but you do too!! So, if that was my intention, then you sure have passed the test. ;)

In general i like to record a lesson in one day, because then i'm in some sort of a flow, that just keeps going. Or otherwise i forget what i've mentioned already. Then again, it's often stressing to get it all done and edited and uploaded in one day. So sómetimes i try to record a few segments the day before, like the close up ones. If possible i even try to match clothes then or try to keep my sleeves out of the frame. (if you only knew what goes on in recording a lesson, haha! :laugh: :S ).

So yes, i had recorded The Chords-segment on Thursday and bought the guitar on Friday and then finished the rest of the lesson. Good eye!

Of course i'm impressed, but not surprised ;) , that you're spot on identifying the guitar. A Taylor 810 CE. I think he's very cool, very handsome, and sounds bold and awesome! (I've decided that my Goodall is a she, and the Taylor is a he. Actually, a great combination of me. B) :laugh: )

Back to your original comment. I always love to hear detailed feedback, so many thanks for getting into it.

You're absolutely right about the song's title and the application of it for singing the song :ohmy:. If you could look at my chart+notes it says twice in big letters: BREATHE! :blink: Still not easy to pay attention to it, since i need to think about a lot of details when playing through it, but i guess i managed for the most part. :)

You're also absolutely right about the importance of playing it in such a way that establishes the appropiate feel of the song. In my opinion, it's all about the strumming hand, which is usually the case when playing in general. For me, there is quite a bit of intent going on in there. A combination of attention and intention. Same as with 'I Can't Make You Love Me'.

I also believe that particular aspect of playing is the biggest challenge for most musicians in general. It's something i can point out and try to explain how to do it, but in the end......

I love that it's added to your father/daughter list, awesome!!! :cheer:

In any way, thanks again for your comments and observations Bart. I'm sure you know that i value those a lot.

Ness

familyman4 wrote:
Vanessa,

Glad to see you picked this song off of the "recommended lesson" section of TG. Great choice!

A quick glance at her versions and your play thru tells me several things:
A) The song title is very appropriate (Breathe) because if a person wants to sing this song, he/she better have lungs full of air before starting and pick the correct spots for a quick breath along the way.
B ) This song will not be hard to play as far as the chords and chord progression goes. Even the embellishments should flow very well. The real trick again will be the dynamics of the playing to give the appropriate "feel" of the song and to do justice to the story line.
C) Another fine song to add to my "father/daughter" song list.

Thanks again for all you do!

Bart

Edit / Addition: Yep, it's a keeper!
familyman4 wrote:
Yes BTW, I also noticed the Taylor guitar but then forgot to ask you about it in my original comment. I seem to remember that you have a nylon string Taylor guitar but didn't remember you having a dread knot Taylor with a cut away???

Is this a new to you guitar? Looks like Indian Rosewood back and sides and a Sitka spruce top, and with the inlays on the neck, and the maple binding, I am guessing it's an 810CE?

(I also noticed that you used a different guitar during "The Chords" section of your lesson pages).

Are you trying to see if we are paying attention? B)

heatndude

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 am

Awesome guitar it sounds great! Do they build these in Amsterdam?

michelew

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 am

WOW... now that was gorgeous... I hadn’t heard it before now neither as I don’t watch Grey’s Anatomy. But gosh that sure was beautiful and the sound of that stunning guitar and your sumptuous and soothing voice was pure bliss ... like coming home to a loving warm embrace. The sound quality you’re getting is also just lovely; a real treat for the senses.

I’ll definitely give it a look see. It will be a good choice actually as I’ve broken my thumb nail again. :)

Wonderful choice.

L

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic