>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Never Been To Spain - Three Dog Night

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have one more Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you today, Never Been To Spain by Three Dog Night.

Never Been To Spain is a song written by American singer-songwriter Hoyt Axton. It was later recorded by Three Dog
Night and appears on their 1971 album ‘Harmony’.

We take a look at a few options for the three major chords in the key of E, the progression, and the guitar fills in the
1st verse.

The main purpose of this lesson is to be a strong rhythm guitar player in general, especially when it’s just you and
your guitar.

For that we dive into the basics of double time strumming, including a few variations, and discuss some ideas about
how to make it more interesting.

Enjoy this level 4 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:42 am

TGNess,

I’m having trouble accessing the lesson segments right at the moment, but I’ve seen enough of your playthrough in the preview to know that your interpretation of this song is really cool; very low key initially and then breaking into the high energy section with style; very Elvis.

[half of my comment disappeared - so trying to recreate it]

Very cool techniques on offer.

So an simple song - nine part lesson. Ha! I knew you couldn’t resist giving us a detailed lesson. Lucky us!

It seems to be a week for Three Dog Night.

Cool

Love your work!

Shel
:kiss:

mcfingers

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 am

I can't access the lesson segments either. It appears that there is an issue with the site currently. I am anxious to check out this lesson when things get back to normal.
Thanks Vanessa, I really enjoy your lessons.

TGNeil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 am

mcfingers wrote:
I can't access the lesson segments either. It appears that there is an issue with the site currently. I am anxious to check out this lesson when things get back to normal.
Thanks Vanessa, I really enjoy your lessons.
Me either, looking into it as soon as the sun rises at TG. This could be a Flash problem again.

Neil

mweston

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 am

Hmmm...it is working for me. Could someone have fixed in the meantime?

tombo1230

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:52 am

Works for me too.

Tom N.

TGNeil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 am

I believe all is working now, and the gremlin is being tracked down.

guitardude7

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:41 pm

I love this song! Three Dog Night does it great, but I really love Elvis' version. He picked some great songs during that period to sing in concert. Anyway, love the lesson. It's taking me a while to get through it but appreciate the concept of the lesson. This really will help someone attack any song that they just have a chord chart to go off of. Also, addresses working in some sus chords and chucking and dynamics, etc. to make it more interesting.

Thanks,

Steve B)

tjwatson10167

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Wow Vanessa,

I spent a better part of the morning watching this lesson. It covers so much. I struggle with strumming....and it is so essential to making a song sound better with "Drive" as you say. I think this will be a good song for me to work on strumming. Plus its such a great song.

Well done and Thanks,

Ted

TGNesh

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 am

Michele: Very Elvis eh?! Who knew?! :laugh: :laugh: :silly: B) Well i guess you know what Elvis means to me and i love such songs like this one. That's why when hearing it again from Mike, i ended up with a major earworm for weeks... :S

And yep, a Three Dog Night week.....that was close! :ohmy: As in Neil and me almost doing the same song in the same week.....as he has pointed out before, we barely ever talk about the songs we're working on. So far, so good, but yeah......veeeeery close! :blink:

I sure don't know how i managed to come up with 9 parts :dry: . I guess i'm paying more attention to what and how i play these days, no matter how easy it might be for me personally, since i need to teach it too. I often see that LOTS of 'easy' stuff doesn't neccessarily come natural for lots of guitar students. I keep noticing how many find double time strumming hard and even avoid it. 'There is a life beyond the folk and rock strum' :). So that was my goal, to just break it down step by step. And of course i wanted to show what you can do with three chords and one guitar, which is a lot.

In any way, many thanks dear Shel, big hug! xoxo

McFingers: Hey Steve, how nice of you to drop in and leave me a comment. :) I'm of course very pleased to hear you enjoy my lessons and I hope this one is no exception. Many thanks!

Guitardude: I'm right there with you Steve! Elvis is my biggest idol ever since childhood (ever since watching the movie Jailhouse Rock). I love lots of his stuff in later years as well and i always found this one really really cool!
I'm very glad you dig the lesson and I know it takes a while to get through 9 parts :S. It sure is a lesson to get back to more often, since it really carries over to ones guitar playing in general. Also the little things you mention, 'sus chords, chucking, dynamics', it's amazing how well that all works. Thank you very much Steve!

Ted: Hey Ted, awesome to read you comment as well! What you mention is exactly what i tried to accomplish in this lesson. It will surely bring your strumming and/or rhythm guitar playing to higher levels. And yeah, it's a great song too. ;) Many thanks Ted!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic