>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Millworker - James Taylor

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Everyone,

We have one more Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you today, Millworker by James Taylor.

James Taylor wrote Millworker for the Broadway musical Working. It was unusual from a couple angles, it was written
from a 19th century woman’s perspective, and it came to him very quickly once the story unfolded.

He recorded it on his 1979 album Flag and it uses some of his normal fingerpicking techniques but something he rarely
uses as well, chord changes over a constant bass note.

It is done in Dropped D tuning and includes some light strumming along with alternate bass picking and playing the
same bass note on the last beats of a measure without hitting it again on the first beat, which is where the chord is
played.

The chord shapes are relatively easy but the right hand may be a bit challenging to get it to sound smooth.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

michelew

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:54 am

Hi Neil,

In truth I’m not a JT fan (don’t tell Sandy :) )

But this looks interesting, especially the pedal-point info - droning D, and the timing of the bass notes. Looking forward to trying it.

Thanks Neil.

Michele

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 am

Neil

This album doesn't really work for me !
James Taylor has other songs you've done that I prefer.

That said you always make the sound and lesson interesting.
The metronome play through is great too.

Dermot

:)

familyman4

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:18 pm

I am a HUGE J.T. fan. Figured I better stand up and say this since we have some non-believers out in the crowd :)

This being said, this isn't one a my favorite songs but I still like many aspects of it! It tells a pretty good story and even though this isn't necessarily his signature style, it still has many aspects of his playing that I enjoy.

Thanks for the post and I will put it on my never ending list of songs to learn.

BTW, I have concert tickets for JT and Bonnie Raitt in May. Should e a blast!

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic