>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - She - Elvis Costello

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGKatherine

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have one more Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you today, She by Elvis Costello.

She is a song written by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer and released by Aznavour as a single in 1974.

Elvis Costello recorded a cover version of the song in 1999. This version was featured over the final sequence of
the film Notting Hill.

The arrangements of both versions are very similar and done in the key of Db.

Since this is not a guitar friendly key, we take a look at how to play the song in the key of D, with the guitar tuned
down a half step.

The lesson shows a fingerpicking arrangement for the most part and changes to strumming for the bridge and the
final verse.

Costello plays it in the key of C, so we take a look at that as well. This turns out to be more challenging for the
fretting hand.

Enjoy this level 6 song!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

crieniecat

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Aaaaw.... always loved this song...
In my mind I'd like to think this must be one of the most romantic songs ever written for a woman....
It's how one could feel when in love... :)

Beautiful rendition Nessa, lovely choice of song

:kiss:
Corina.

davidrfinn99165

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Great choice for a lesson Ness... i am really pleased to see this song here. Excellent version on the playthrough, as always.

I am a great fan of Charles Aznavour... he is an immensley talented writer of songs, with a huge catalogue. I saw him live in Nice about 20 years ago and he is also a very talented performer. i don't really see why the lesson credits the song to Elvis Costello. i think his cover version is good, but i can't see that his arrangement adds anything significant to the original.

michelew

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:44 pm

WOW! ... that was absolutely gorgeous... I’m holding back the tears. Great version and ... your vocals in particular are outstanding...

I don’t think anyone could listen to that and not be affected by it.

So now all the romantics just need to learn it before tomorrow right?!? :kiss:

Love

Shel

tombo1230

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow this takes me back a good few years! :)
I recall Sascha Distel introducing Charles Aznavour on a tv programme in the seventies
and he sang this very song. Very nostalgic. :)
Great play/singthrough Vanessa. :)

Tom N.

TGNesh

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Finally getting back to you great folks! :)

Last week has been crazy full on. :ohmy: Several of you should be able to guess why. I even recall that Tom got exhausted by just watching the main part of it :laugh: :laugh:. Anyway, trying to catch up now.

Corina: Yeah, i would agree, it's hiiiighly romantic and i love it, what can i do???!!! :unsure: :laugh: :laugh: And i love the movie (Notting Hill) and i have some great memories along with it. B) Thanks babe! xo

David: In thruth, i thought sómeone, or maybe many, would feel that way. I have a few reasons ;) , which probably won't cut it for you :laugh: But no, i didn't do so, because Elvis' version has more to it. I think the arrangements are actually very similar and It could've been either way, him or of course Charles A. And like you, I'm glad it's in Target now. Many thanks for the compliments David!

Michele: :blush: :cheer: B) .... In general i always wonder how a song/performance comes across and such and I'm really thrilled you feel that way Shel :) :) And I so love your support! A WOW álways makes my day!! ;) :kiss:

Tom: So the song started a trip down memory lane? Always a pleasure. ;) I think i've missed that (too young :P ) and came to know the song through the movie for which Elvis C. had recorded it. Thanks for dropping in again Tom, I sure always appreciate the compliments!

TGNess B) (trying to get back on track here :S )

tombo1230

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 pm

TGVanessa wrote:

Tom: So the song started a trip down memory lane? Always a pleasure. ;) I think i've missed that (too young :P ) and came to know the song through the movie for which Elvis C. had recorded it. Thanks for dropping in again Tom, I sure always appreciate the compliments!

One thing I forgot to say about this song ........is that it is really a great song, very emotional.
I’ve just been listening again and it really is stunning! I think I need to learn this.
Also a very neat pick grab....I think you might have a future as a magician Ness. :laugh:

Tom N.

TGNesh

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 am

I so agree with you Tom, the song is so beautiful in every way.....i really loved to get to it and work out an arrangement that i think works well enough. I sure hope you'll learn it!

The 'pick grab' :laugh: :laugh: I was wondering if anyone would notice. I've done a few in several play throughs (Bedshaped for example, magician wise, that was the best one I think B)), but no one ever mentioned it. Perhaps Shel maybe. :dry:

In any way, trust me, it's practiced beforehand! :P :laugh:

tombo1230 wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

One thing I forgot to say about this song ........is that it is really a great song, very emotional.
I’ve just been listening again and it really is stunning! I think I need to learn this.
Also a very neat pick grab....I think you might have a future as a magician Ness. :laugh:

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic