Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Diamonds And Rust Lesson 2 with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
sandysue

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 am

willem wrote:
It's amazing what you can do without looking at the fretboard B)

W. B)

Hi Willem, you're right, It is amazing how we can teach our brains to know exactly where our fingers are in space to the degree that we can touch a tiny string on a specific spot on the fret board with the tip of our finger without looking. I guess it's a fine balance to know when you need to look for a second in order to maintain accuracy and not build in mistakes that are hard to break.

When I'm playing for someone I sometimes find myself staring at the fretboard for no good reason just because i'm nervous about playing. :S :S

Sandy

tombo1230

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Sandy, watching through your f.o.t.w. I think the most important thing that happened is that once you knew what to do, Neil turned the music away so you had to recall it from memory. Otherwise you can become a prisoner to the paper so to speak. There’s always a lot to learn from these lessons and sometimes it is the most subtle thing. I’m looking forward to when you post this as a finished song. Nice work. :)

Tom N.

sandysue

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Hi Sandy, watching through your f.o.t.w. I think the most important thing that happened is that once you knew what to do, Neil turned the music away so you had to recall it from memory. Otherwise you can become a prisoner to the paper so to speak. There’s always a lot to learn from these lessons and sometimes it is the most subtle thing. I’m looking forward to when you post this as a finished song. Nice work. :)

Tom N.
Thank you Tom, you are so right about learning to recall music from memory. When I first learned to play guitar I use to practice site reading all of the time because it's a great skill to have, but then I had to have my written music with me all of time because I didn't have anything memorized. These days I also memorize everything as I go along because Neil has convinced me to do so. He always has great idea's on the best ways to learn anything to do with music.

I've been practicing this song everyday until my fingers hurt so hopefully someday I will be able to post it on TG. :S :S

Sandy

tombo1230

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm

sandysue wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:

Tom N.
Thank you Tom, you are so right about learning to recall music from memory. When I first learned to play guitar I use to practice site reading all of the time because it's a great skill to have, but then I had to have my written music with me all of time because I didn't have anything memorized. These days I also memorize everything as I go along because Neil has convinced me to do so. He always has great idea's on the best ways to learn anything to do with music.

I've been practicing this song everyday until my fingers hurt so hopefully someday I will be able to post it on TG. :S :S

Sandy
Sandy, with this kind of effort you cannot fail. Looking forward to your performance of this lovely tune. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic