Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Diamonds And Rust Lesson 2 with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Fly on the Wall lesson, exclusively for TARGET members, Diamonds And Rust Lesson 2 with Sandy.

Sandy spent most of the week following our first look at Diamonds And Rust cramming for a workshop at Jim Bruno’s, which he does for his students on the last Monday of every month. They all get up to play something either with a band or their own karaoke accompaniment.

As we started our second look at this Joan Baez song I figured it would be a restart but was pleasantly surprised that she had it in pretty good shape. We worked our way through the embellishments again.

We then went into a strategy discussion of prioritizing things you are working on and that it is frequently OK to redirect your focus from time to time.

We also talked about keeping old things in some kind of shape, sometimes hoping your fingers will find the notes that your brain can’t seem to find. We also took a closer look at the bridge to the song, which had seemed a little confusing in spots, how the text repeats work, and fingering choices for the intro.

Enjoy this new lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Neil and Sandy

Great FOTW :ohmy:

Sandy, cool guitar, you are a diamond, no sign of rust :P
The sparkle's from your hair, for sure !

Dermot

:laugh:

sandysue

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Thank you Dermot. You always have a sweet thing to say. I have actually learned to play this song now even though I'm still working on trying to get the vocal part exactly right while I'm playing at the same time.

This song has a cool vamp repeating through out the song and it has this haunting sound I think because it's in a minor key. The timing is also a little different than usual.

Thank you for the video you posted of Joan Baez playing this in her later years. She ha slowed it way down so its easier to follow along and play along with her especially because it involves just one guitar instead of the whole band. :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Nice Sandy.... hope you'll play that live for me next time over :)

What a beautiful song it is.... been growing on me since Shel played it. Hope it was Shel... I am forgetting more than I remembering about these things these days.... :side: Hope I get around to playing it as i want to do more picking this year....

crieniecat

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:09 pm

It is so cool to see you coming up with all these new songs to learn and especially how you manage to forget the camera, play and sing.
You are a pro sweet lady and guided by Neil you'll always find the pearl (diamond?) in the oyster. :lol:

Love,
Corina :kiss:

dekotaj

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Bravo Sandy

Moving right along. Look forward to the next lesson.

best of luck with it
Kevin
PS try counting it as you play it ????? ( its got a nice groove to it)

sandysue

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice Sandy.... hope you'll play that live for me next time over :)

What a beautiful song it is.... been growing on me since Shel played it. Hope it was Shel... I am forgetting more than I remembering about these things these days.... :side: Hope I get around to playing it as i want to do more picking this year....
I think you are right Chris about Michele playing this song but I didn't see it posted. It might have been a while back.I would love it if Michele would repost it on the busking channel so we can all hear her play it again.

I think you would love to learn this song too Chris because it is really fun to play. I have really been practicing this song every day so I hope I can eventually get it in good shape. Right now my left ring finger is hurting from playing the vamp so many times. :S :S

Sandy

sandysue

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 pm

crieniecat wrote:
It is so cool to see you coming up with all these new songs to learn and especially how you manage to forget the camera, play and sing.
You are a pro sweet lady and guided by Neil you'll always find the pearl (diamond?) in the oyster. :lol:

Love,
Corina :kiss:
Thank you my sweet Corina. I actually decided to learn this song because of a post someone put on FB of Joan Baez singing this song, and I loved it right away. Then I checked and Neil had already made a lesson for it on TG so I was really excited.

I do get fearful playing and singing in front of a camera or a group of people. It's a vulnerable place to be. But, what has really helped me the very most these days is finally realizing that I am not in competition with anyone else other than my own better self. My reward is just in learning something new that I didn't know, or couldn't play before, or just enjoying what i happen to be playing at the moment. :)

sandysue

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

dekotaj wrote:
Bravo Sandy

Moving right along. Look forward to the next lesson.

best of luck with it
Kevin
PS try counting it as you play it ????? ( its got a nice groove to it)
Thank you Kevin. You are so right, the timing is critical in this song. I tried using a metronome but it didn't really work well for me on this song. When I get my speed up a little more I will try and play along with Joan Baez's recording. That should help with the timing and the vocals. :)

Sandy

willem

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 am

It's amazing what you can do without looking at the fretboard B)

W. B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic