Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Windy And Warm with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Fly on the Wall lesson, exclusively for TARGET members, Windy And Warm with Sandy.

A few weeks ago Sandy and I decided that she should go back to some of the instrumentals she used to play,
most of which have been neglected with her recent interest in singing and performing.

As many of you know, when you start playing complex pieces from memory, and continue to for a while
without going back to look at the music or listen to recordings, the piece can take on a life of its own with
unplanned variations.

This week we reviewed the four parts of Windy And Warm, as made famous by Chet Atkins and Doc Watson
to name just a couple, and started working out some of the kinks.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

mweston

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Sandy, you appear to have been really busy lately! You must be playing a lot. You seem to be close to getting Windy and Warm down cold. I really like that song, but the barre chord part of it kills me. I have the same problem you went thru trying to raise and lower my finger and roll it back and forth trying to get the notes to sound clear. So I only work on it every once in a while. (Didn't you do that one at the first IGC? Or is my memory fooling me?)

(And I still haven't seen that video! :( :P )

-Marc

sandysue

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 pm

mweston wrote:
Sandy, you appear to have been really busy lately! You must be playing a lot. You seem to be close to getting Windy and Warm down cold. I really like that song, but the barre chord part of it kills me. I have the same problem you went thru trying to raise and lower my finger and roll it back and forth trying to get the notes to sound clear. So I only work on it every once in a while. (Didn't you do that one at the first IGC? Or is my memory fooling me?)

(And I still haven't seen that video! :( :P )

-Marc
Hi Marc. You’re right I did play that song along with Neil at the first IGC. Neil covered up all of my mistakes and made me sound pretty good. :P :P
as I learn new songs i find it hard after a while to keep up with the songs that I already know. When I only have so much time to practice I usually put the time into something that I’m working on at the time so the older pieces that I us to know well become a little rusty. I need to figure out how to manage that better. Maybe I need a practice list that I rotate on regularly so that i don’t have to spend time relearning songs That I use to know. I would love to hear how you and others manage keeping up with your songs.

You’re right, barre chords can be a pain for me too. especially Bm but we can’t avoid them so with each new song I have to figure out how to Negotiate all of the Barre chords again. If my left hand gets tired or I don’t get just the right finger position then I don’t get all of the strings covered well enough and the barred chord doesn’t sound good.

Sandy

sbutler

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Im Struggling right there with ya Sandy. W&W was one of the first finger pickers I tried to learn, But over the years, my fingers have picked easier paths every time I try to play it. And now I see I miss a lot of stuff.

Practicing to be sloppy. Yep, thats me.

Scott

7645slug

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Sandy, I thought it sounded good before Neil said you were doing it all wrong. I would be happy to do it half as well as you. And since I like being happy, and all the other Pips can play it, I think I will go ahead and try to see if I can get it down half as well as you can.

--tom

sandysue

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 pm

sbutler wrote:
Im Struggling right there with ya Sandy. W&W was one of the first finger pickers I tried to learn, But over the years, my fingers have picked easier paths every time I try to play it. And now I see I miss a lot of stuff.

Practicing to be sloppy. Yep, thats me.

Scott
Hi Scott

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one Scott struggling to keep my older and maybe more time intensive songs in good shape. I know you love the more difficult instrumentals yourself, and they are beautiful, but they are also a little harder to keep in good shape. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a music repertoire fresh and ready to go so that I could play or perform any one of those songs with minimal preparation time, but the thing that really gets me in trouble, is practicing for speed rather than correctness. I want to practice as many songs as I can in a given time period but then in the long run I have given up on accuracy. What I call practicing to be sloppy. The answer might be to practice fewer songs per day but play them more slowly with correctness in mind. :)

sandy

sandysue

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:34 pm

7645slug wrote:
Sandy, I thought it sounded good before Neil said you were doing it all wrong. I would be happy to do it half as well as you. And since I like being happy, and all the other Pips can play it, I think I will go ahead and try to see if I can get it down half as well as you can.

--tom
Thank you Tom, that's really sweet of you to say. i actually learned this song maybe 5 years ago but I don't play it as well now as I use to. I think what Neil is trying to say to all of us is that as we get better at playing the guitar then he has more expectations for us to be more accurate in our playing. He wants us to put more emphasis on accuracy as we become more proficient at playing the guitar, and the banjo too. :) :) :) :)

I think at least for me, and maybe for a lot of us, we want to get on to the next project without continuing to nurture the songs we have already spent so much time and energy learning. It doesn't mean that every song is going to be maintained to that degree if even at all, but at least for the songs you want to remember, or learn for IGC. :S :S :S

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic