>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you today, Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen.

Dancing In The Dark is a song written and performed by American artist Bruce Springsteen, and the biggest
hit of his best-selling album ‘Born In The U.S.A.’

This lesson covers the chords in the key of G, the progression and the strumming, and shows how to
incorporate the main synthesizer riff.

We also take a look at a cover version performed by Scottish singer-songwriter Amy MacDonald, which
features a lovely fingerpicking arrangement in the same key.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

michelew

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am

TGNess,

Very cool song. And VERY COOL play through. You’re obviously having a ball playing it. You just make me want to run and pick up my guitar. :) B) B)

I love the melody fragments you’re incorporating in there and the drive is great. Love the gutsy singing too. That beautiful boy of yours is singing mighty finely as well.

Well it may be a level three, but I’m guessing you’ve gone above and beyond as always to show us how it’s really done.

Thanks Teach.

L

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 am

Nice Ness! My favourite Springsteen song... its on my car play list and only last week, I'm thinking, gotta learn this song.... no excuses now :laugh:
Great job! Never heard Amy's version before although I play a couple of her songs, she has a big fan base in CH.

Found this cool version after looking at your link...

guitardude7

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for another great lesson, Vanessa!

I think I had a tab of this once a long time ago but it had you tune your guitar down like a step and a half low and play it as in D or something so I gave up on it. Plus, I don't think it showed the intro melody since that was on a keyboard or s.t.

I would have never said this was my favorite Bruce song growing up, but I do love it. I'm an old fogey, so I would consider this his later period (basically anything an artist who was around in the 60's/70's and then came out with something in the 80's I would call their later period :laugh: ). I grew up hearing "Rosalita" as the first Springsteen song to come out on the radio and hearing "Blinded By The Light" by Manfred Mann and then learning it was written by Bruce.

Anyway, was watching your vids and jamming out to it last night. I was going to suggest do a lesson on "I'm On Fire" from the same album, but I'm glad you did this one. I don't think "I'm On Fire" is too difficult, I think it was always too fast for me to keep up with. My old fingers can't keep up with my young mind :cheer:

Haven't tried to learn the other version of it, yet. It sounds really cool. Never heard of it before, which is another reason I love this site. Sometimes I discover new artists or versions of songs I fall in love with.

Thanks,

Steve

guitardude7

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I think another reason I love this song is it has really depressing lyrics when you think about it but the music is really upbeat and poppy and dance music. It sort of breaks the songwriting rule of using major keys/chords for happy songs and minor for sad ones. It makes me think of “Ants Marching” by Dave Matthews with this really happy sounding D major groove and then he starts singing about not talking to each other and “lights down you up and die.”

Steve

tombo1230

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:49 pm

This is a great tune, probably my favourite from the ‘boss’. Really enjoyed your gutsy play through Vanessa. I was tapping my foot hard listening to this. Terrific! You were obviously having fun playing this too. :) I love your free flowing strumming style. You make it look easy.

Just going to have a look at the fingerpicking version as well. Another winner! :)

Tom N.

TGNesh

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 am

Michele: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :cheer: B) You're absolutely right, i sure was having a ball, haha! #teenagememories If it made you feel to run and pick up your guitar, that's awesome I'd say. ;)

Gutsy, drive, that's all absolutely great to hear, since that's what the song needs in my opinion. As you know, i'm a sucker for ballads, but i really love to rock it out too. I'm very happy that my handsome guitar serves me well in that respect.

Level 3.....well it's hard to lable a song. There is, according to Neil, no level 10. Personally I don't think there is a level 1. To make this song sound great i would move it to at least level 4. If one would be able to just strum the chords (no little melody), i guess it could be a level 2.

Oh well. Once again, thanks so much for your support and feedback Shel, i always love to hear what you think! xo

Chris: That's a very cool version, beautiful! I didn't look at it, since it wasn't just her and her guitar. In thruth, i would LOVE to perform with an orchestra, just once in my life. That must be SO.... well the ultimate high i think. Anyway, yes, you gotta learn it for sure. ;) Thanks Chris!

Steve: Hey Steve, thanks for the elaborate comment! I can tell from it, that i am a bit younger than you :laugh: :P. I barely know Springsteen's stuff from before Born In The USA, I was 12 when that one came out.

I'm On Fire would be another great one to get to. I've seen Bruce play it and actually keeping it very simple (i think you would be able to keep up ;) ), like he often does.

The lyrics surely don't match the feel of the song. As you say, somewhat depressing when you think about it. :dry: But when i play it, it actually lifts me up and i'm having a great time, just love the energy of it. Glad you like the fingerpicking version as well. It's nice to be able to play songs in different ways. Many thanks again Steve!

Tom: Such awesome feedback Tom and very generous! :) :) I often feel i need to 'control' myself when having fun while playing up tempo songs. It's hard to sit still :S, I get where Elvis is coming from you know. :laugh: B) In any way, 'another winner', i can sure live with that!! ;) Thank you very much Tom!

TGNess B)

spinland

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Wow. Damn. Holy sheet. Et Cetera.

I already hardly sleep, then you post a lesson on one of my favorites from The Boss. Damn you, thank you, and bless you. :side:

On my list.

TGNesh

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 am

:laugh: Right back at ya Mark! ;) :laugh: xo

spinland wrote:
Wow. Damn. Holy sheet. Et Cetera.

I already hardly sleep, then you post a lesson on one of my favorites from The Boss. Damn you, thank you, and bless you. :side:

On my list.

guitardude7

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 pm

BTW, Ants Marching would be a great song to add to the Target lessons. Also, you really should get online and check out (all of) Bruce's earlier stuff, especially the entire albums of Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and The River.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic