>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Something Fine by Jackson Browne

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you, Something Fine by Jackson Browne!

In 1972 Jackson Browne’s debut album, sometimes referred to as Saturate Before Using,
introduced us to one of the best songwriters of this generation. Something Fine is a
delicate fingerpicking song that is not difficult to play but includes a very nice intro and
interludes between verses. He plays it with the fifth string tuned down a whole step (to G)
and the studio version had all strings tuned down another half step. In recent years he
lowers it a whole step, giving us D-F-C-F-A-D.

The lesson is done at standard pitch with just the lowered fifth string and looks specifically
at the intro and interludes, or endings, with a more generic look at the progressions used in
the verses and choruses.

The chord shapes are very easy but you should have some familiarity with alternate picking
patterns as they can and should be varied with every play through. There are some nice slides,
hammer-ons and pull-offs that could prove a little tricky at first.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

wrsomers

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 pm

This lesson is precisely why I am not renewing my TARGET membership. Neil, you spend 30 minutes "teaching" this "easy" song, most of which you spend talking instead of showing. Your version is not even close to how this song should sound. I learned this song from another teacher who really took the time to show how it is played without all the rambling, TMI, instruction. It reminds me of the story of Albert Einstein's golf lesson. After the lesson which included way to much technical B.S and little of just how to just hit the ball, the teacher asked Albert so what do you think? Einstein picked up 10 balls and threw them all at the teacher and said "catch". You get my point? If I had tried to learn this song from your lesson, I would have given up in frustration.

Sorry all you Neil lover's but I can't take it anymore. Adios.

Bill

Is this post nice? Nope! But hell, why am I spending $300 a year for this?

TGNeil

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

wrsomers wrote:
This lesson is precisely why I am not renewing my TARGET membership. Neil, you spend 30 minutes "teaching" this "easy" song, most of which you spend talking instead of showing. Your version is not even close to how this song should sound. I learned this song from another teacher who really took the time to show how it is played without all the rambling, TMI, instruction. It reminds me of the story of Albert Einstein's golf lesson. After the lesson which included way to much technical B.S and little of just how to just hit the ball, the teacher asked Albert so what do you think? Einstein picked up 10 balls and threw them all at the teacher and said "catch". You get my point? If I had tried to learn this song from your lesson, I would have given up in frustration.

Sorry all you Neil lover's but I can't take it anymore. Adios.

Bill

Is this post nice? Nope! But hell, why am I spending $300 a year for this?
Hey Bill,

Sorry this was not up to your standards, which, as I mentioned in the text, a comfort zone with alternate picking was a prereq. But I said it was easy with some degree of creativity and technical skills. I would have guessed that you were one of those who could have gotten it from the approach I chose.
In any case, I am glad you can play the song and I always appreciate constructive criticism.

Hasta la vista,

Neil

sbutler

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Point counter Point.

I for one, flourish with your style of teaching Neil. My biggest obstacle to learning is, well, ME. How ever you'd describe your style, it is why I can now play a couple of songs. So CRACK ON Neil. Keep em coming! And no, 10 beers weren't killed in the writing of this short paragraph.

I've not heard this song before, and it sounds so pleasant that I may give it a go. Although I'll never sing it, its a nice melody.

Great Job Neil.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Good point Bill, why exactly do you bother to be here and make posts like that?! In the history of TG, no one has managed to insult the teachers like you have.

If the teachers are not giving you exactly what you want and how you want it you are off into a rant and rage. You have insulted Ness on her Dutch accent and have been incredibly rude to Neil a number of times on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, unfortunately you have no manners at all when you express yours and you sound, frankly, like a rude drunk.

This lesson has 7 parts with all the info you need. Anyone can go to part 7, the play through, and listen for themselves how clear and simple it is presented to refute your criticism. I enjoyed many of the songs and videos you shared here but, obviously, you're going to throw all your toys out of your pram if the teachers here don't do things exactly the way you want so leaving is probably doing everyone a favour.

TGNeil

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm

For breaking both the spirit of this place and also for posting nothing but abusive ranting, I just banned you from the forum until you can learn to play nice.

Keep it nice folks. You can give feedback constructive feedback and we will listen, do it this way and I will ensure you cannot post ..

Thx

crieniecat

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 am

mattwilliams wrote:
For breaking both the spirit of this place and also for posting nothing but abusive ranting, I just banned you from the forum until you can learn to play nice.

Keep it nice folks. You can give feedback constructive feedback and we will listen, do it this way and I will ensure you cannot post ..

Thx
Thnx Matt for stepping in, TG is no place for this kind of abusive and compulsive behavior.
Like Chris said, Bill has by now already insulted Vanessa and Neil several times, this was one step beyond....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic