>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - Satin Doll - Jazz Standards

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you, a new addition to our Jazz Standard guitar lessons, Satin Doll!

Satin Doll is undoubtedly one of Duke Ellington’s signature tunes. It was co-written with long time collaborator Billy Strayhorn
and published in 1953, with lyrics added by Johnny Mercer after it had become an instrumental hit.

This lesson covers a few ways of fingering the chords, some suggestions on the rhythmic accompaniment, a short look at
picking out the melody, and some sections on improvising over the changes (from Max Rich). Part 6 is a basic backing track that
can be your accompanist while you take the lead.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Neil and Max

You guys can play anything.
A Duo lesson, very cool.

Derot

davidrfinn99165

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Great lesson guys, this absolutely hits my current hotspots.. comping, melody line, and improv from Max.. terrific ! More lessons like this please !!!

One comment i need to make again. Neil, this is a classic example of where fret-markers on your guitar would help students like me. The playthrough on the preview has split windows and you are playing melody lines between frets 8 and 13. The guitar neck is not always in view - maybe i am spatially challenged but how on earth am i supposed to count the frets ?? I know there is tab later, but the same comment would apply to the section on the melody line.

I know at least one person who agrees with me, but unfortunately he has been banned !

TGNeil

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Great lesson guys, this absolutely hits my current hotspots.. comping, melody line, and improv from Max.. terrific ! More lessons like this please !!!

One comment i need to make again. Neil, this is a classic example of where fret-markers on your guitar would help students like me. The playthrough on the preview has split windows and you are playing melody lines between frets 8 and 13. The guitar neck is not always in view - maybe i am spatially challenged but how on earth am i supposed to count the frets ?? I know there is tab later, but the same comment would apply to the section on the melody line.

I know at least one person who agrees with me, but unfortunately he has been banned !
Hey David,

I figured this melody was so easy that positioning your hand at the fret I mention usually means no position changes until the next phrase, and it is a good ear training exercise as well. I think I mention the names of the notes as well. And the marked guitar was in the shop. And the almost full moon was in my eyes. And it is spring training time for baseball here. And the dog ate my first versions of the tab. And, I'm forgetting the other reasons, which means I am forgetting too much in general.
I hope I remembered to include the tab???...

Neil

tgjameela

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone!

We have a new addition to this lesson covering a solo arrangement!

The solo arrangement of Satin Doll is mostly straightforward fingerpicking but using what I call anticipated bass notes.
This means the first bass note of a chord is played on the ‘and’ of the beat before the change, rather than on the beat.

We do this more commonly with melody notes and that shows up as well. Most of the chord shapes are the same as
the ones in the standard accompaniment but there are some nice short cuts demonstrated too.

PS. The guitar in used in this new addition has fret markers!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Enjoy!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic