>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Happy Monday!

Our newest Target and Pay Per Lesson release for you is I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats!

I Don’t Like Mondays, is a song by Irish band The Boomtown Rats about the 1979 Cleveland Elementary
School shooting in San Diego/California. It was written by their lead singer and Band Aid co-founder Bob
Geldof.

The title is based on the explanation that 16-year-old shooter Brenda Ann Spencer gave when being
asked why she had done it. She responded: ‘I don’t like Mondays. This livens up the day.’

The song is heavily piano driven and this lesson teaches how to play a similar sounding arrangement on
the guitar.

It’s done in standard tuning, but in order to match the original recording one would need to tune down
all six strings a half step.

We take a look at the progression in the key of C, the signature intro and several little melodic piano fills,
which appear throughout the song. This creates quite a few challenges for both the fretting and strumming
hand.

Enjoy this level 6 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Just wow! That was my initial reaction when I saw this on YT. Wow! was my second reaction after listening to it again. And Wow! is my reaction after sitting down with Ness at Craig's place in San Diego a couple of days ago. What a great lesson on what is really a piano song. Just love the intro! Ironically, San Diego is the place, the events of this song are based upon, happened. So for Craig (a teacher in SD) this is more that just a song. What are the odds?!

Had to post something, although I already wrote to Ness and responded on YT, as it seems just odd that there were no comments here. I guess there are a number of places and ways to respond these days but I feel TG should be the main place to respond.

Chris

michelew

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Chris - Actually I tried unsuccessfully to reply to this offering many times last week. The first time the system threw me out after I had written a relatively long post. Then I just couldn’t get back in... I don’t know why it’s working now, but hopefully it does. I’ll test it now before adding more.

Yeh!

Ok on with my comment for Ness.

TGNess,

I have to admit I was sceptical... sceptical that you could make such a classically piano driven song work on the guitar, with just your voice and a single instrument. But Low and behold, you blew my mind again. Fantastic job! You managed the difficult yet again. I’m sure the impossible would just take you a little longer. You’re awesome!

I also hadn’t really twigged to what this song was about. Actually, ... I’m realizing that it’s the music that sticks with me rather than the lyrics so much since I’ve had the same realization for your last... three ... lessons.

Brilliant adaptation.

Thanks

Shel

:kiss:

TGNesh

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 am

Hey Chris and Shel!

Took me a while to get back here, for probably obvious reasons. ;) But....normal life has started again.

Know that i sure appreciated both your comments big time!!

Especially since it was of course a challenge to work out an arrangement for it. In thruth, it started when seeing Richie Sambora play it with Bon Jovi/Bob Geldof. Seemed easy enough in Em (tune down strings a half step). From there it was trying to get the main melody bits in, in particular the intro.

Well...again, i'm incredibly pleased to hear both your feedback and Neil's too. :cheer: B)

It was also much fun to play it several times during my trip in California. First time at Craig's place in San Diego (later at Ed's and IGC), as Chris points out, what are the odds? :blink:

And like you Shel, the music gets me more than the lyrics, at least it has always been like that before, when playing it on the piano. I guess it's still the case, but i'm more aware of the lyrics now though. Probably because of researching the song again and being at Craig's place. Kinda mixed feelings there...

In any way, many many thanks you two, big hugs!!!! :kiss:

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic