Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Si Bheag Si Mhor with Carol

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone (Hey Carol!)

We have a new Fly on the Wall lesson, exclusively for TARGET members, Si Bheag Si Mhor with Carol!

Carol was at TG Central for a lesson the week before our 2018 IGC and had been working on Pete
Huttlinger’s arrangement of the Irish tune Si Bheag Si Mhor, a piece attributed to Turlough O’Carolan,
the blind harpist and singer from the early 18th century. She was unsure of some of the fingerings,
and particularly how long to hold certain notes down.

A great approach to things like this is to find a video of the arranger playing the piece. Luckily, there
was a great video of Pete playing it so we spent much of this lesson carefully looking at his hands and
freezing the action in many spots.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... carol.html

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Neil and Carol

Gosh, I thought Carol's video in the forum was great - Link - Si Bheag Si Mhor with Carol

It's interesting to get a FOTW on the tune.

Dermot

:cheer:

Carol

Pete Huttlinger

familyman4

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Carol,

I absolutely love the way you challenge yourself!

Also, thank you for allowing this to be a FOTW session! Wonderful to see you and glad you could squeeze in a private lesson while in California for IGC2018.

Neil, more "10 star reviews" for coming up with the concept of FOTW years ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a huge learning opportunity for all of the TG members and is one of many aspects of the site that sets TG apart from others!

Thanks a million...
Bart

TGNeil

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Hey Bart,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just today I was with a young student and we went off in a direction completely unplanned, looking through her notes I saw a reference to a song called Journey To The Past. Looked it up and saw it was from Anastasia, a Disney movie I think, but somehow we got on to Sweet Child O' Mine by those Rifles and Flowers guys and we jumped into that. After awhile I apologized and fessed up to the fact that I have no lesson plans and improvise every lesson every day, including those with people I see every week. She came back with how much fun it was to have a new, cool thing to work on that was never on either or our agendas.
That is pretty much the way things run here and I could never do it any other way. That is also how the FOTW series started many years ago, and I know how helpful they can be to lots of people. Love the fact that many people get it.

Neil

carolm242

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:39 am

tgjameela wrote:
Hi Everyone (Hey Carol!)

We have a new Fly on the Wall lesson, exclusively for TARGET members, Si Bheag Si Mhor with Carol!

Carol was at TG Central for a lesson the week before our 2018 IGC and had been working on Pete
Huttlinger’s arrangement of the Irish tune Si Bheag Si Mhor, a piece attributed to Turlough O’Carolan,
the blind harpist and singer from the early 18th century. She was unsure of some of the fingerings,
and particularly how long to hold certain notes down.

A great approach to things like this is to find a video of the arranger playing the piece. Luckily, there
was a great video of Pete playing it so we spent much of this lesson carefully looking at his hands and
freezing the action in many spots.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... carol.html

Hi Neil, and wow this is soooo awesome to see my lesson as a FOTW episode, after only being a viewer for so long!! I want to thank you for getting me on your lesson schedule especially the week of camp- it was super fun and I learned soooo much!!
(Even some music theory :::evil grin:::)
Thanks again Neil!!
P.S. Free Schub DADGAD partial capo to a good home. Contact me if you’re interested.

carolm242

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:48 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil and Carol

Gosh, I thought Carol's video in the forum was great - Link - Si Bheag Si Mhor with Carol

It's interesting to get a FOTW on the tune.

Dermot

:cheer:

Carol

Pete Huttlinger
Hi Dermot, and thank you for your kind comments!! It’s always great to get feedback on our playing- and so awesome to see both of these videos side by side this way!!! I could watch Pete Huttlinger play this tune all day long- he has such a smooth easy style that I aspire for... it’s a journey... and it was pretty cool to have a lesson with Neil. Glad you enjoyed the latest FOTW episode!!!!

carolm242

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 am

familyman4 wrote:
Carol,

I absolutely love the way you challenge yourself!

Also, thank you for allowing this to be a FOTW session! Wonderful to see you and glad you could squeeze in a private lesson while in California for IGC2018.

Neil, more "10 star reviews" for coming up with the concept of FOTW years ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a huge learning opportunity for all of the TG members and is one of many aspects of the site that sets TG apart from others!

Thanks a million...
Bart
Thanks Bart!!! I am so glad I had this opportunity this year, and so happy that Neil could fit me in to his lesson schedule that week!! I have been quite a fan of the FOTW series from day one on the TG site. I think it’s an ingenious idea that allows every viewer to learn something from every lesson!! So yes, add my 20 star review to the list ;)

LisaC

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi Carol,

Your lessons area really fun to watch! Thanks for sharing them! :-)

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic