Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Train Leaves Here This Morning with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
sandysue

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

Hi Ness

I just sang this song capoed At the fifth fret using E shapes which I believe puts it in the key of A and it was probably a little better sound for my voice. Are you thinking that putting it in the key of A would make the sus2 and sus4 and major 7th sound better or be easier to finger?

Would it then be
Verse
A / G E7 A

F#m/ B7

Chorus
A/ G E7 A/

How would you alter the chords for the instrumental?

I think The reason that Neil was a little reluctant to teach me an instrumental to this song at this point is because I’m having to use a flat pick on this song and I’m normally a finger style player and I’m trying to get better at picking out individual strings with my flat pick now and I’m not always successful. But that won’t stop me from learning this so if you’ve got some good ideas let me know I would really really appreciate it. Thank you Ness

TGNesh

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Yes, you got it Sandy! That would be the progression in the key of A. Nothing wrong with your transposing abilities. ;)

Yes, i think the voicings in the key of A sound a little better than the ones in the key of G (capo II), in particular E7 instead of D7. And it's of course nice that you can alternate to a lower bassnote (the 5th) when playing A. For chord V, in this case that would be E, I would certainly play an E7, as you've actually already written down. (I meant dominant 7's, not major 7's, that's another beast :laugh: .)

I played around a little with those chords, basically playing the progression of the verse, and somewhat came up with the same notes as Neil did (but of course that was in the key of E). I would mainly throw a few notes in when playing A, not so much with G, and a hammer-on (another technique that i very often use for the same reasons) with E7. I'll try a to shoot a little clip tomorrow, and see how that goes. I would keep it short though, i mean the instrumental part.

Talk soon!

Ness

sandysue wrote:
Hi Ness

I just sang this song capoed At the fifth fret using E shapes which I believe puts it in the key of A and it was probably a little better sound for my voice. Are you thinking that putting it in the key of A would make the sus2 and sus4 and major 7th sound better or be easier to finger?

Would it then be
Verse
A / G E7 A

F#m/ B7

Chorus
A/ G E7 A/

How would you alter the chords for the instrumental?

I think The reason that Neil was a little reluctant to teach me an instrumental to this song at this point is because I’m having to use a flat pick on this song and I’m normally a finger style player and I’m trying to get better at picking out individual strings with my flat pick now and I’m not always successful. But that won’t stop me from learning this so if you’ve got some good ideas let me know I would really really appreciate it. Thank you Ness

sandysue

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Thank you Ness. I really appreciate your input on this song. I will switch to the Key of A and start trying to work on an instrumental part keeping it short Maybe by just using the chords for the first half of the verse since the chords just repeat themselves again in the verse anyway. Or better yet I’ll wait for your ideas on what you think would be best.
That would be great if you did have time to send us a little clip of your ideas on the instrumental part. Thank you so much. :) :) :)

Sandy

TGNesh

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Hey Sandy! (And maybe anyone else interested.)

You and I have exchanged a few notes in the meantime and talked about what you could do with this little instrumental part. Since it might be useful to others i thought i'd post my video-response in here as well.

In any way, i hope you've been able to make it work. Please let me know how it goes if you will.

Ness

sandysue wrote:
Thank you Ness. I really appreciate your input on this song. I will switch to the Key of A and start trying to work on an instrumental part keeping it short Maybe by just using the chords for the first half of the verse since the chords just repeat themselves again in the verse anyway. Or better yet I’ll wait for your ideas on what you think would be best.
That would be great if you did have time to send us a little clip of your ideas on the instrumental part. Thank you so much. :) :) :)

Sandy

sandysue

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

You’re a sweetheart Vanessa for working out the instrumental for this song and then putting it in lesson form on your video so that we can all learn from it. I really appreciate all of your effort. I’m working on the instrumental part now. I’m learning it with a flat pick so it’s going to take some time for me but it is great for leaning to pick out individual strings and the instrumental sounds so pretty with this song. Thanks again. :) :) :)

Sandy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic