Newest Target Members Only Lesson - Fly On The Wall - Train Leaves Here This Morning with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Fly on the Wall lesson, exclusively for TARGET members, Train Leaves Here This Morning with Sandy!

A friend of Sandy’s mentioned this song as done by the Eagles to Sandy and she thought it would be fun to play and
maybe work out a short solo to stretch it out a bit. First we listened to a version by Roger McGuinn of The Byrds, and
Gene Clark (who wrote the song with Bernie Leadon while they were members of Dilliard And Clark in 1968). Then we
checked The Eagles’ version from their first album.

The renditions were pretty similar but in different keys. This led us into a talk about two different approaches to
transposing, and eventually into a very easy way to add a solo.

Enjoy!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/target-s ... sandy.html

familyman4

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:20 pm

It looks like the Santa Cruz found it's way back home to Neil. Looking good... :)

A lot of juicy nuggets of information inside this FOTW lesson. I realized the bass notes were always on the same fret, one string above the root note but never thought about them being the 5th of the chord.

Keep it up Sandy. You always wonder in with some interesting songs to play during your lesson time with Neil. Thanks for sharing!

Bart

willem

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 am

Nice song,,thx for sharing
B)

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 am

Neil and Sandy

Great song and lesson

Dermot

:laugh:

sandysue

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi Bart I’m glad you liked our FOTW and that you Found it useful. I learned a lot of new things in the lesson too. I’ve always loved that song. A good friend of mine mentioned it this past weekend as one of her favorite songs so we looked it up and sang it and then I just had to ask Neil about learning how to play it. :)

sandysue

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi Willem. Thanks for always weighing in on my FOTW lessons. I think that is a song you would really like too. :)

sandysue

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Dermot
Thank you for watching our FOTW video. I love your cartoon. It made me laugh :)

Sandy :)

TGNesh

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am

You're such a good sport Sandy, always willing to answer all Neil's questions and such. :laugh: :P Well done!

As for a bit of a solo/instrumental section, i would absolutely throw in some sus4, sus2, dominant 7's, alternating bassnotes in there (instead of humming). It would be just enough. This is what i've done pretty much my entire guitar playing life (along with a few other tricks B) ), especially when performing by myself. It always works in my opinion. A recent example would be during the solo part in Hello Mary Lou. I very often use the squeezing/releasing the strings technique as well. I wouldn't in Train Leaves Here This Morning though, just something i play around with in general, in order to give it a percussive sound/feel.

Btw Personally I would absolutely play the song in the key of G, suits my vocal range much better. I think the key of A would work even better for you, maybe even capoed. I'm obviously taking the vocals up higher when doing so.

But....if you're singing the song an octave higher than the Eagles, then you probably would want to go down, since i figure it'd be too high. Key of D (which you've already covered, probably still too high), or the key of C maybe. For the latter you might want to do Key of A after all, capoed at the 3rd fret. I can't recall you singing in the lesson actually, so i can't really tell. Just a few suggestions you might want to consider. :) If you're not planning on singing at all, then forget about the whole story. :S :laugh:

Great work dear Sandy, kick some butts at those open mic's! ;)

Ness

sandysue

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Vanessa

Thank you so much for your advice on this song. I am really interested in including a really nice solo/instrumental part in this song. It’s funny that you also said that you would capo it up three frets and play it in the key of G because I had already done that to put it in a decent singing key for myself. Great advice.

I’m curious which of the chords you would change to sus2 and sus4 and major 7ths in the instrumental. I would love to hear your opinion on that. I am already playing and singing this song, just working on getting the vocals solidly memorized before I try and perform it. :S

Sandy

TGNesh

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

Ah great, now i know where you are vocally speaking! Absolute key of Bb. Decent you say, does that mean you would be more comfortable a little higher?

I think key of G works quite well, but key of A works probably even better, since some of the voicings sound a little lower, in particular chord V, which would be E (the key of A), instead of D in the key of G. So how long would you have this instrumental part. How many measures and which progression?

sandysue wrote:
Hi Vanessa

Thank you so much for your advice on this song. I am really interested in including a really nice solo/instrumental part in this song. It’s funny that you also said that you would capo it up three frets and play it in the key of G because I had already done that to put it in a decent singing key for myself. Great advice.

I’m curious which of the chords you would change to sus2 and sus4 and major 7ths in the instrumental. I would love to hear your opinion on that. I am already playing and singing this song, just working on getting the vocals solidly memorized before I try and perform it. :S

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic