>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Wings by Gustavo Santaolalla

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our newest TARGET and Pay Per Lesson release is on The Wings by Gustavo Santaolalla!

Gustavo Santaolalla is a musician, film composer and producer from Argentina. He has won
Academy Awards for Best Original Score in two consecutive years, for Brokeback Mountain in
2005, and Babel in 2006.

The Wings is taken from the Brokeback Mountain score and appears at the end of the movie.

It’s a beautiful instrumental with only four chords, which Santaolalla plays on the guitar.

The arrangement features a little bit of everything. Picking, strumming and a combination of both.
The challenge is to keep that going and to focus on the melody, as well as changing chords smoothly.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/target-s ... esson.html

michelew

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:28 pm

I couldn’t help it...

... I had to go straight to your playthrough...

... just WOW!

... so powerfully moving

Beautiful choice.

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Vanessa

I haven't heard this before but it sounds great.

:)

Gosh An Internet Doppleganger :dry: On Keyboard !!!

michelew

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Proof that Ness owns this song regardless of the instruments she uses to convey its emotive journey.

.... adding Ness’s rich voice in there too is an intoxicating spell...

Ness this lesson is as beautifully detailed as always. Going through it now. I’m having to practice the roll especially - to slow it down and separate it more. Backwards feels harder too. :)

Thanks Teach!

Shel

Craig

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 pm

Great lesson Vanessa! Never a song on my radar but definitely caught my attention as a possible add to my "to do" list.

Thanks,

Craig

LisaC

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 am

Hey Vanessa,

Your play-through is so beautiful. I can't wait to get started. I usually would not consider learning an instrumental but I was so moved listening to it. Thank you for this lesson!!

Lisa

TGNeil

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 am

Vanessa,

Great job on this tune (that I was not familiar with) and I am not surprised at the responses. As a matter of fact, yesterday a student of mine who rarely looks at the site was drawn to this because of an email that went out and decided he wanted to work on it. I decided to start with it as an ear training exercise for him as the melody and bass lines are very clear and simple in your first run through. He was also particularly intrigued by the combination of fingerpicking and strumming that follow that. I look forward to seeing him next Monday and seeing his progress.

Great choice and great playing!

Neil

joycespivey

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 am

This lesson is a lesson that is worthy of a rating of 5! When I watched this lesson, I enjoyed the music really. I liked the lesson very much!

TGNesh

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 am

Hey guys and girls, so happy to read all of your comments!

This is indeed one of the very few instrumentals that i really love to play. :)

Michele: Big compliments for sure :blush: :kiss: ....Double thank you's!!!! :cheer: Awesome to hear you're working on it! At first glimpse the arrangement seems quite easy, but i've never found it neccessarily easy to play. You know me and the 'sustain' thing right?! ;) :laugh: I've seen Gustavo play it by himself :dry: .....well, in the score or with a band he sounds waaaaaay better. :)

All in all, it might take some work to make it really flow and sound smooth. Anyway, i do love to sing it too, even though i prefer the original. Shane August's version is great, but maybe a tad over the top at times. Personally i would leave out all the humming stuff. I do love the lyrics, so heartbreaking...(I actually play and sing through it in the lesson, part 7. Wrecked vocal cords though :S).

Thanks so much dear Shel! xo

Dermot: Wow.....she sure looks and sounds like me!! :laugh: :P I shouldn't be suprised that you of all people of course tracked it down ;) . I think that video was from 2012 or so.. :ohmy: Great to hear you like the song Dermot, thanks!

Craig: Hey my friend, thanks for tuning in! I sure think this would be a great addition to your repertoire. :) It's beautiful, challenging, but doable. Also technique wise well worth to work on. I really hope you do. Many thanks Craig!

Lisa: How great to hear from you too! I know what you mean, and i'm very much like you i think. Not much into instrumentals, but this one is just so incredibly beautiful, so moving. In thruth, i've wrecked my vocal cords a couple of weeks ago, pretty badly, so i couldn't (and still not really) sing. I had to come up with plan B, so i thought of this one, which i had been meaning to get to for a long time. I'm sure glad i did. As you can imagine, would love to hear an update when you have one. :) Thanks Lisa!

Neil: Hey Neil, thanks for the compliments and sharing your student-story. I loved to hear it of course! Great idea to use it as an ear training exercise, perfect song for it. The right hand is a bit of another story. So would you have an update on him?

Joyce: Very glad you like it Joyce, thank you very much!

TGNess B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic