>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson - The Joke by Brandi Carlile

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our newest TARGET and Pay Per Lesson release is on The Joke by Brandi Carlile!

The Joke is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile and
appears on her 6th studio album ‘By The Way, I Forgive You’ (2017).

It was nominated in four categories at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards (2019) and
won the Award for ‘Best American Roots Song & Best American Roots Performance.

The arrangement features an easy progression, with only five chords, including a
few barre chords, making it not too easy for beginners.

The lesson takes a thorough look at the strumming and shows a few examples of
the way Brandi strums through it.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

https://www.totallyguitars.com/target-s ... esson.html

michelew

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

TGNess,

I LOVE Brandi and this is classically her style.

I missed it too. Not sure now but I did. I have the album now. :)

I’m not surprised you didn’t continue into her shout singing; damn hard and she is a master of it.

We’ve just has the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras here, besides Pride, the theme was Fearless. The lyrics of the first verse in particular seem very timely.

Thanks for the lesson and for catching me up with a great artist, a favorite of mine.

Shel

:kiss:

TGNesh

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Hey Shel!

I was pretty sure that at least you would like some more Brandi! :cheer:

I have a feeling that the lyrics resonate with many people, timely indeed.

Funny enough i actually like the original recording, which is more piano based, even a tad better. It gives me goosebumps, so beautiful and powerful. I thought it was also pretty awesome that she totally rocked the 2019 edition of the Grammy Awards with it too! Well deserved I'd say.

I'm glad you understand my decision not to do a full play through :laugh:! My voice was a mess anyway... :S (It's finally getting better though)

Thanks for tuning in again my friend! xoxo

TGNess B)

michelew wrote:
TGNess,

I LOVE Brandi and this is classically her style.

I missed it too. Not sure now but I did. I have the album now. :)

I’m not surprised you didn’t continue into her shout singing; damn hard and she is a master of it.

We’ve just has the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras here, besides Pride, the theme was Fearless. The lyrics of the first verse in particular seem very timely.

Thanks for the lesson and for catching me up with a great artist, a favorite of mine.

Shel

:kiss:

Craig

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:40 am

Vanessa, great lesson on good song! I really like the changes to the bare chords, sounds very cool to my ear. I’m not sure why you said you didn’t do justice on the vocals, you sounded really good to me! I won’t learn this song, or the other you recently posted, which is really good also, due to my lack of singing. However, as I’ve told you before, I always pick up little tips that I can incorporate somewhere down the line from your lessons.

Thanks for more tips!

Craig

jayswett

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Vanessa,
Your Brandi lessons are sooooo good. Thanks for this. I've played a few of her songs at open mic with your help.

Is that guitar of yours a Taylor dreadnaught cutaway? What model is it?

Jay

jayswett

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Quick question: What is the key of this song? It's not D major, since it has an A minor in it, not A major. I was watching some of Neil's mode videos, and I think I understand how modes are named, but not sure how modes relate to keys of a song.

TGNesh

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:23 am

I'm always incredibly pleased to hear that Craig, that's awesome! :cheer:

The vocals....well i can sing it until i fade out :laugh: :S. Maybe with less wrecked vocal cords i could get a bit through it, but not too often. :S Oh well....

Thanks so much Craig, loved to hear from you!

Ness

Craig wrote:
Vanessa, great lesson on good song! I really like the changes to the bare chords, sounds very cool to my ear. I’m not sure why you said you didn’t do justice on the vocals, you sounded really good to me! I won’t learn this song, or the other you recently posted, which is really good also, due to my lack of singing. However, as I’ve told you before, I always pick up little tips that I can incorporate somewhere down the line from your lessons.

Thanks for more tips!

Craig

TGNesh

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:30 am

Many thanks for your comments Jay, loved to read those too! You even performed some, that's so great!!

As for the key...I've thought about it of course when putting together this lesson. And you know, things aren't written in stone, and using chords out of the key is certainly not unusual. I would still consider this in the key of D major, even though 3 out of 5 chords are not in the key :blink: I can't come up with any mode which has all five chords in it.

I've looked around checking sheet music and such, and everyone writes it down in the key of D major. So again, it just uses a few chords out of the key, that's in my opinion pretty much it.

Anyway, again, many thanks for dropping in!

All the best Jay,

Ness

jayswett wrote:
Quick question: What is the key of this song? It's not D major, since it has an A minor in it, not A major. I was watching some of Neil's mode videos, and I think I understand how modes are named, but not sure how modes relate to keys of a song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic