New Lesson Release - Operator by Jim Croce

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a brand new lesson available!

Operator by Jim Croce.

Jim Croce was about the most visible and popular singer-songwriter of the early 1970s. His first album included a string of classics that endure to this day. Operator showcased his unique style, which included fascinating second guitar parts, mostly created by his partner Maury Mueleisen.

This lesson covers both guitar parts. Jim's is mostly his favorite fingerpicking pattern, a rolling arpeggio with 3 bass notes per measure, but also a few quick runs harmonized in 3rds (or 10ths if you will). Maury's part is done with a capo at the 5th fret and includes harmony in 3rds and 6ths, along with some nice scale runs.

I want to thank my long time student and friend Fred Ferla for contributing his vocal skills to the Play Through.

Enjoy!

https://totallyguitars.com/lessons/2563 ... -jim-croce

unclewalt

Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 pm

I have a feeling this will turn out to be like "Year of the Cat" for me: I watched the preview just because it was there, not expecting to be particularly interested. But I think I'm going to delve into this like I did with that one. The second guitar part drew me in: I really want to get better at playing more melodic leads like that. I can't seem to get out of pentatonic thinking, and I make everything sound bluesy. The note-for-note presentation of this will be a big help in freeing me up, I think. And I mean to check out more of Maury's work.

I would have never guessed that songs by Jim Croce and Al Stewart would end up opening new avenues of playing for me. Another one like that: Jose Feliciano, of all people.

TGNeil

Wed May 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Wow,

This means a lot to me as these guys were so influential to me. So glad to have spread the word a bit.

Neil

unclewalt

Wed May 20, 2020 11:14 pm

My older brother had a couple of Croce albums when I was a kid, which I loved, but then I just sort of moved on. With Al Stewart, I never got past his whispy delivery. Of course, I came of age in the cynical late 70s/early 80s, and while I liked a lot of lighter stuff (Mac, EJ, etc.) I was mostly all about the rawk: Who, Stones, Zep, Floyd (and on and on) and with new stuff, pretty much just punk and new wave. I love finding gold in unexpected places like this.And I really admire the work and imagination that go into these kinds of lessons. It so easily could have been almost a campfire thing.

familyman4

Thu May 21, 2020 12:34 pm

Neil,
As you know, Jim Croce is one of my hero's. I have played this song for years but there are a couple of spots I just never had quite right. I can fix that now! And Maury's part, well that always felt too unreachable for me to figure out on my own. Now I can spend some time working out his part as well.

I want to reserve a duet of this song with you at IGC later this year! Hold a spot open for me sir....

Thanks so much for adding this own to the long list of songs in the "TG Treasure Troves"!

Bart

thereshopeyet

Thu May 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Neil

That was a great split screen play through, amazing.
Fred is a great singer, brilliant al round.

I watched the preview and am interested in the right hand technique you explain.
I look forward to what else you have in store.
Going Over To The Lesson.

:D
Last edited by thereshopeyet on Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unclewalt

Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm

I'm a little confused. I could probably figure this out on my own, but where on the tab is the Maury stuff? Its says "Jim" at the beginning, but then there are no more labels like that.

Thanks!

TGNeil

Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Ouch,

My mistake. The Guitar Pro file has both tracks but I needed to make separate pdfs. Tracking down the files now.

Neil

unclewalt

Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am

Ah! I wondered if that was the case. Thanks!

unclewalt

Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Random thoughts on this: First, thanks for the Maury tab! I haven't made time to work on this yet, but soon will.

I've listened several times, now, though. I will also delve further into the catalog. After I moved past Croce when I was a kid, I had this vague thought that he was -- I dunno, too mainstream or something. Sort of dull and pedestrian. A poor man's James Taylor. "Leroy Brown," even back then, struck me as weird. This mustachioed white dude in a denim shirt singing about this stick-figure black guy on the South Side of Chicago (where I was raised, albeit on the other side of the tracks from Leroy), with all kinds of stereotypes and language that was at least 10 years out of date when it was written. No way that would fly today, certainly. I mean, "King Kong!" I'm not dissing it, really, just observing.

And "Operator," I just kind of thought of as an insipid piece of pop. Nice tune, sure. It was my favorite of his when I was a kid. But, besides the tasty arrangement and performance, the lyrics are actually pretty great. "My best old ex-friend Ray" alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm wondering how planned Maury's accompaniment was. It sounds very precise (which is what drew me to the lesson, because of what I'm aiming to get out out of it) but also sounds like it could have been largely improvised. My guess is that it was at least mostly written, if not 100 percent note-for-note.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic