New Lesson Release - Jerusalem - Solo Guitar Arrangement

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a brand new lesson available!

Jerusalem - Solo Guitar Arrangement

Jerusalem was written in the early 1900s by Hubert Parry, who set the poem 'And Did Those Feet In Ancient Time', by William Blake to a beautiful melody. The song has been an anthem of sorts in the U.K. for over 100 years. It was used in the London Olympics, and was the opening track on Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 1973 album, Brain Salad Surgery.

James Taylor did a short arrangement of it in his bio 'Break Shot', available as an Audible book. That is where this lesson came from and it includes much of James' stylings and sound. It is challenging and the lesson goes into precise details of thinking of every notes' role in the play.

Enjoy this Intermediate Guitar Lesson!

https://totallyguitars.com/lessons/2576 ... rrangement

unclewalt

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm

I've loved this song since it came out, when I was still basically a little kid - the ELP version, of course. Years later, it got me into Blake, and that whole milieu ("unclewalt," in fact, was an homage to Whitman, though this is the only place where I still use it -- it sounds a little creepy, in a way.)

I really like this arrangement, though I still haven't checked out the JT version. When I get to this, I think I'll probably make it more like ELP -- less lilting, a little faster, and more martial sounding, if that's the right word. But this looks like a great template to work from. It's like 5th on my plate, at least, but looking forward to it!

penname

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 pm

My first exposure to Jerusalem was when the William Blake poem was an assigned reading in junior high. Later I first heard the song on Monty Python of all places. But really fell in love with it when I was stationed in England in the early 80’s and heard it on the Last Night of the Proms broadcasts on the BBC. Been looking for a good solo guitar arrangement for years but never really found one I liked and could get the sheet music for. So I was delighted when Neil released his arrangement of the James Taylor version.

Watched the lesson on the first four measures tonight and really appreciate the detailed breakdown on how to layer the sound.

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic