New Lesson Release - The Entertainer by Scott Joplin - Neil Hogan's Version

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a brand new lesson available!

The Entertainer by Scott Joplin - Neil Hogan's Version

Scott Joplin's music has tickled millions of listeners around the world, and created quite a challenge for guitarists since its resurgence in the 1970s.

In the late 70s I started working on an arrangement of The Entertainer by Dutch guitarist Leo Wijnkamp. I continued adding to and adjusting many parts until I finally came up with an arrangement I think Joplin would approve of.

Like most classic rags, it consists of four 16-bar sections, every one of which is a mini-masterpiece in my eyes, and I generally have students treat these as such and want them to have the perspective that each part is a separate piece and not get overwhelmed by the magnitude.

The original was in the key of C and this arrangement is in D, done in Dropped D Tuning.

Patience and perseverance are the requirements here.

Enjoy this advanced level lesson!

unclewalt

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Imma dig into this one. I taught myself Wijnkamp's version a few years ago. I got it into my fingers, but never have played it through without mucking it up in some way. Maybe the first section a couple of times. It's been a while, and I'd been meaning to get back to it again.

I assumed this would just have a few tweaks, but if it's only 60-70 percent of Wijnkamp's I'll have to treat it as a full lesson. I had been planning to just use it to learn the D part up the neck at the end of the first section, which Wijnkamp had down in first position -- where it was already pretty hard. Sounds better up there, though.

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Neil

Thanks for another great piano to guitar lesson.

You are the best ever.

Thanks

:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic