Andante by Fernando Sor Op. 31 No. 1

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNeil

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Hey Gang,

New release from Vanessa on a classical essential by Fernando Sor, Andante. Check it out here
Andante Op. 31 No. 1

Andante Op. 31, No. 1 is written by the great Spanish guitarist and composer Fernando Sor (1778-1839).

It’s a short 3/4 composition in C major. It features two sections, and each should be played twice.

The lesson shows the fingerings for the left hand, in order to move as efficient and smooth as possible.

The right hand is mostly in home position, but the fingers should also be able to alternate.

All in all, this is a perfect composition for beginners to tackle, and for them to work on the basics of guitar playing.

michelew

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 pm

TGNess,

You appear to be on a classic Andante roll :)

Beautiful!

Thanks teach.

Shel

TGNesh

Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:14 am

I sure like to play some of those every once in a while. It seemed a good idea to teach as well. :)

Do/have you ever play(ed) anything classical?
michelew wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 pm
TGNess,

You appear to be on a classic Andante roll :)

Beautiful!

Thanks teach.

Shel

michelew

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi @TGVanessa

I’m just back to answer your question.

Yes I’ve learned, if not mastered, some pieces that are called classical in the library:
- Greensleeves
- Romanza

And I’ve also spent some time on the classic exercises that Hector Garcia put up.

They are of course great to play for a range of reasons. And I remember other classical pieces that you, Neil and others have posted, some of which look very challenging and sound fantastic; I’ve really enjoyed listening to them and watching them played. Something to aspire to.

M

carolm242

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi Vanessa!!

I love classical guitar and loved your lesson here on this Sor peice!! I had previously learned this song, and with most fingerstyle I kind of just let my right hand "do its own thing", while keeping within the general rule of Thumb covers string 4,5,6 and index covers string 3, middle 2 and ring 1. Now I am looking over your lesson with the right hand finger instructions and it's different from the way I learned it in some places... My question is, how important is it to adhere exactly to the fingering, as long as I alternate where needed etc?? It's tons more difficult to "unlearn" something you don't even think about....

Thanks, Carol

TGNesh

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi Carol! Love to hear that you're, or have been working on this!

You need to elaborate a little though, what is different from the way you've learned it?
carolm242 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm
Hi Vanessa!!

I love classical guitar and loved your lesson here on this Sor peice!! I had previously learned this song, and with most fingerstyle I kind of just let my right hand "do its own thing", while keeping within the general rule of Thumb covers string 4,5,6 and index covers string 3, middle 2 and ring 1. Now I am looking over your lesson with the right hand finger instructions and it's different from the way I learned it in some places... My question is, how important is it to adhere exactly to the fingering, as long as I alternate where needed etc?? It's tons more difficult to "unlearn" something you don't even think about....

Thanks, Carol

carolm242

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Vanessa,
I was trying to figure out exactly where I go off track from the right hand fingerings in the lesson notes... In measure 3, it says m,i,a for the G, F and D. I tend to keep to the a,m,i (the "assigned strings for those fingers" even though the E note from the previous measure is played with the a. Also in measure 18 I use the a instead of the m for the e note, and measure 19, I use the m for the last D note in that measure. If I don't pay attention, my right hand fingers just go to their "assigned" strings although I try to alternate fingers if I play the same string on consecutive notes. I made a rough video of this song (sound is awful) I can message you with it if you want to see it. Not sure if it should go in this thread :)

Thanks, I enjoyed working through this lesson and looking for more classical stuff now :)
Carol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic